Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Canada
Example:

A. In order to solve the technical problem, people who (1) know the manual, (2) are multi-lingual, (3) have extensive knowledge of the technology, and (4) have the necessary trouble-shooting skills are needed.

B. In order to solve the technical problem, people who (1) know the manual and (2) are multi-lingual and (3) have extensive knowledge of the technology and (4) have the necessary trouble-shooting skills are needed.

Q: Both of the two sentences are correct grammar and punctuation wise?

Thanks in advance.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Example:

A. In order to solve the technical problem, people who (1) know the manual, (2) are multi-lingual, (3) have extensive knowledge of the technology, and (4) have the necessary trouble-shooting skills are needed.

B. In order to solve the technical problem, people who (1) know the manual and (2) are multi-lingual and (3) have extensive knowledge of the technology and (4) have the necessary trouble-shooting skills are needed.

Q: Both of the two sentences are correct grammar and punctuation wise?

Thanks in advance.

"A" is better.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Example:

Q: Are both of the two sentences [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] correct grammar and punctuation wise?

Thanks in advance.

There are far too many "and"s in sentence B.
In sentence A, it's fine except (in my opinion) you don't need a comma between "technology" and "and (4)".

I would also start with "In order to solve the technical problem, we need people who ..." as I feel that the "are needed" at the very end of the sentence is in danger of being consumed by the rest of necessity 4.

My version would be:

In order to solve the technical problem(s), we need people who (1) know the manual, (2) are multi-lingual, (3) have extensive knowledge of the technology and (4) have the necessary troubleshooting skills.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with everything said, and would add that I'd delete "In order" and start right off with "To solve..."

If you want to omit the personal "we need" (although I like people and would have done it that way myself), you can say "Solving the technical problem(s) will require people who:..."

Bravo on the parallelism: Know, are, have, have -- all verbs. So many people don't do parallelism well.

vcolts

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Canada
Thanks everybody. I have two follow-up questions if you don't mind.

1. So while A is clearly the better choice, B is not necessarily wrong grammar/punctuation wise?
(I will definitely read and learn from what you wrote about the better options that you mentioned, but I am a little more concerned about whether what I have submitted is correct at this point.)

2. By the logic of the usage of parallelism, is the following sentence also correct?

Ex. Peter knows a lot about bicycles, is multi-lingual, and writes for his school paper.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks everybody. I have two follow-up questions if you don't mind.

1. So while A is clearly the better choice, B is not necessarily wrong grammar/punctuation wise? That's right.

2. By the logic of the usage of parallel, is the following sentence also correct?

Ex. Peter knows a lot about bicycles, is multi-lingual, and writes for his school paper. Yes, it's OK.

Thanks in advance.

Bhai.

Status
Not open for further replies.