Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Can "wire up" mean to "explode"? I know the general meaning, but i want to know if it can be "explode"?

In the sentence "Wire this shit hole up" can it mean "burn or explde this dirty place"???

waiting for the reply
thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can "wire up" mean to "explode"? I know the general meaning, but i want to know if it can be "explode"?

In the sentence "Wire this shit hole up" can it mean "burn or explde this dirty place"???

waiting for the reply
thanks.

I would say that it can mean to prepare something for an explosion, yes. In that specific sentence "Wire this shithole (one word) up", then I believe that they are planning to place explosives and the wires around the place, in preparation for blowing it up.

However, to wire up does not literally mean to explode, no.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Yes. I know literally it doesn't mean that but i wanted to get sure that it "can" mean "explode" but really in the video, the places eplode. I'm asking bec I haven't found that meaning when i looked it up. SO Thanks a lot :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. I know literally it doesn't mean that but i wanted to get sure that it "can" mean "explode" but really in the video, the places eplode. I'm asking bec I haven't found that meaning when i looked it up. SO Thanks a lot :up:

Well, I would still say that no, it CANNOT mean to explode. The final result after wiring something up may well be an explosion, but that doesn't mean that the phrase itself can be used to mean explode.

Incidentally, we wouldn't say that we are going to "explode a building". Normally, we would say "to blow up a building". To explode is normally used to explain what happened afterwards:

- What happened to that building?
- It exploded.
- Do you know why?
- Those men blew it up.

Shenfeng

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Another word which can be used in this context is 'rig'.

(1) Rig this shithole up!
(2) Stay clear of the door! - It is rigged.

*not a teacher*

Status
Not open for further replies.