Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Good morning or good afternoon,

I would like to have your opinion about the following sentence:

I have been to the doctor's this morning.

I said this phrase in the morning but if I said it in the afternoon can I still use the present perfect tense.

In the same time are you able to enlighten me about the 's' after the word doctor.

Thanks in advance for your replies (do not hesitate to correct my mistakes).

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Good morning or good afternoon,

I would like to have your opinion about the following sentence:

I said this sentence in the morning, but if I say it in the afternoon can I still use the present perfect tense?

At the same time, are you able to enlighten me about the 's' after the word doctor?

Thanks in advance for your replies (do not hesitate to correct my mistakes).
No, if you say it in the afternoon it's in the past, use the simple past "went". "Doctor's" is a short way of saying "doctor's surgery/office".

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

First, you specify the time and secondly,as far as I understand, you are not there anymore.
So, I would use simple past tense, like; I went to see the doctor this morning.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
No, if you say it in the afternoon it's in the past, use the simple past "went". "Doctor's" is a short way of saying "doctor's surgery/office".

Hi teacher,

You are always fast in your replies. Thanks for your correction but can you tell me what difference you make between the words 'phrase' and 'sentence'.

See you soon and thanks again.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
***Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

First, you specify the time and secondly,as far as I understand, you are not there anymore.
So, I would use simple past tense, like; I went to see the doctor this morning.

Hi Euncu,

In my mind when you use the present perfect tense it's to show that an action has a result in the moment of speaking or thta is still continuing. I know the border line is not very clear and there are some differnces between countries but it's another issue.

Bye.;-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi teacher,

You are always fast in your replies. Thanks for your correction but can you tell me what difference you make between the words 'phrase' and 'sentence'.

See you soon and thanks again.

A phrase is just a group of words in order, a sentence is "une phrase" in French, it starts with a capital letter, has a subject, an object and a verb (at least), and finishes with a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
A phrase is just a group of words in order, a sentence is "une phrase" in French, it starts with a capital letter, has a subject, an object and a verb (at least), and finishes with a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Hi teacher,

I understand now why I am confused.It's what I call a 'bad friend'.

Have a nice day.
:up:

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Maybe, it is true for some cases such as:
I broke my arm (It's well now)
I've broken my arm (It hurts when I move it)

But as for your example it indicates a completed action. I know you say so by considering the sentences like I've been to Italy,etc. I am not sure about the grammatical roots of saying that way but if we are not referring to an action but referring to an experience, we use have/has been. And another thing to mention, as far as I know if we specified an exact time we should use simple past tense, like;
I talked to him ten minutes ago
We went there yesterday.

Since I'm neither a teacher nor a native -speaker, I suggest that we wait for a native-speaker to confirm this.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Maybe, it is true for some cases such as:
I broke my arm (It's well now)
I've broken my arm (It hurts when I move it)

But as for your example it indicates a completed action. I know you say so by considering the sentences like I've been to Italy,etc. I am not sure about the grammatical roots of saying that way but if we are not referring to an action but referring to an experience, we use have/has been. And another thing to mention, as far as I know if we specified an exact time we should use simple past tense, like;
I talked to him ten minutes ago
We went there yesterday.

Since I'm neither a teacher nor a native -speaker, I suggest that we wait for a native-speaker to confirm this.
I have been to the doctor's this morning. This sentence is perfectly correct if said in the morning. Consider this conversation: Person #1 "I've been to the doctor's this morning." person #2 "Have you, what did she say?"

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I have been to the doctor's this morning. This sentence is perfectly correct if said in the morning. Consider this conversation: Person #1 "I've been to the doctor's this morning." person #2 "Have you, what did she say?"

If I've understood you right, It is about time, not about action.

1)I've gone to the market today.(I'm back but It is still today)
2)I went to the market yesterday.(Yesterday is over,I'm saying it today)

I've to admit that the first sentence sounds weird since I am not in the market (I'm home now)

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi Euncu,

About an experience life I have always learnt that we must use the present perfet tense.:-D

See you later.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Question:Have you ever gone to see a doctor
Superman:No, I haven't, I don't get sick.

Q: Did you see the(your) doctor?
A1:Yes, I did
A2:No, I haven't seen him yet. I'm still in his waiting room and reading a magazine.

Here I have examplified what I know about the difference between these two tenses, but what I know is not always necessarily what it should be.(since I'm not a native-speaker)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The last point you raise --oops - on the prior page! -- depends on how you view yourself in the time spectrum of the day.

[So far today] I've been to the post office, the bank, and the market today. [But the day is not over because] I'm home for a few minutes, then I have to take Johnny to hockey practice, stop by the church to drop off the items for the rummage sale, and drop off my dry cleaning, which I forgot when I went to the market earlier.

versus:
Oh, I had a busy day [and the busy part is over]. I went to the post office, the bank, the market, took Johnny to practice, and dropped off the stuff for the rummage sale and the dry cleaning. Thank goodness Mark's mother will bring the boys home so I can sit still for a few moments.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If I've understood you right, It is about time, not about action.

1)I've gone to the market today.(I'm back but It is still today)
2)I went to the market yesterday.(Yesterday is over,I'm saying it today)

I've to admit that the first sentence sounds weird since I am not in the market (I'm home now)

"I have gone to the market today" is incorrect, in English we use the verb "to be" in that context "I have been..." I don't know anything about the Turkish language, but I know that that is problematic for French speakers. In French it's "je suis allé(e) au marché aujourd'hui" or "I am gone to the market today." In English you can't do that, if you are gone, you are not there to say it.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
"I have gone to the market today" is incorrect, in English we use the verb "to be" in that context "I have been..." I don't know anything about the Turkish language, but I know that that is problematic for French speakers. In French it's "je suis allé(e) au marché aujourd'hui" or "I am gone to the market today." In English you can't do that, if you are gone, you are not there to say it.

I agree with you teacher, in French often we cannot translate directly our mind in English.

Cordially,

Status
Not open for further replies.