Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Would you write "at a computer" or "at the computer"? The latter sounds better to me.

In today’s information society where people spend much of their time at a/the computer, physical activity is an increasingly important means of keeping fit.

Thanks.

Mr. Spivey

Member Type
Other
As with all questions of definite vs. indefinite article usage, there are slight nuances, depending on the sentence, in which one might be preferred to the other. Let's look at some examples.

- Caroline is typing her report on the computer.
- David sits in front of a computer at work all day, so he likes to get outside in the evenings.

In these two examples, it is implied that there is a specific computer (first example) and not (second example). However, both sentences could be grammatically correct with either article.

In your example, I think it would simply work better to say "in front of a/the computer", and neither article sounds particularly better to me. If you do a Google news search for "at a computer" and "at the computer", you'll see that the verbs preceding the prepositional phrase are often "look" or "stare".

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
As with all questions of definite vs. indefinite article usage, there are slight nuances, depending on the sentence, in which one might be preferred to the other. Let's look at some examples.

- Caroline is typing her report on the computer.
- David sits in front of a computer at work all day, so he likes to get outside in the evenings.

In these two examples, it is implied that there is a specific computer (first example) and not (second example). However, both sentences could be grammatically correct with either article.

In your example, I think it would simply work better to say "in front of a/the computer", and neither article sounds particularly better to me. If you do a Google news search for "at a computer" and "at the computer", you'll see that the verbs preceding the prepositional phrase are often "look" or "stare".

I'm not sure I agree that "Caroline is typing her report on the computer." refers to a specific computer. Which computer would that be?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Do you think there's a difference in meaning between these two sentences?

He was hurt and taken to a hospital.

He was hurt and taken to the hospital.

The second sentence does not, in my view, refer to a specific hospital, although it could if the person was hurt in a town where there is only one hospital.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The second sentence does not, in my view, refer to a specific hospital, although it could if the person was hurt in a town where there is only one hospital.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning.

(1) Yes, I believe that you are correct as far as American English is concerned: ....taken to THE hospital simply refers to any such institution where the ill are treated.

(i) One expert says that "the hospital" is a so-called WEAK definite noun phrase. That is, he says, the "hospital's particular location need not be uniquely identified."

(2) Is there a difference between "the" and "a"?

(i) I am not able to put my finger on it, but I sense a difference.

(a) If you say, "He was hurt and taken to A hospital," it seems to me that you are setting up a contrast. That is, he was taken to A hospital, NOT to ANOTHER place, such as his home or even to the employees' lounge at his workplace.

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

In BrE, "He was taken to hospital" is correct if talking about any hospital. When referring to a particular hospital, usually the nearest one, you might say: "He was taken to the hospital".

Status
Not open for further replies.