Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

I am familiar with the expression 'hear me out' to mean as - let me finish what I have to say before you say something.

But the other day, I heard one participant on a TV debate say - 'listen me out'. I am wondering if this is correct or not. I understand that he meant the same as 'hear me out' because someone was trying to interrupt him.

'hear' and 'listen' are a bit confusing because of the close meanings they have. I understand that in general, 'to hear' means to be aware of sound (for example, can you hear me?) and 'to listen' means to pay attention to what someone is saying (for example, are you listening to me?). According to this understanding, 'listen me out' makes sense, but the phrase I have heard before is 'hear me out'.

Thank you

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not an Amercian English expression. What TV show were you watching?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've never heard "listen me out". In the heat of a debate a person might conflate, "Listen to me!" with "Hear me out!" and end up saying, "Listen me out!".

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It's not an Amercian English expression. What TV show were you watching?

@susiedq, it was a political debate on one of the Indian TV channels.

Last edited:

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I've never heard "listen me out". In the heat of a debate a person might conflate, "Listen to me!" with "Hear me out!" and end up saying, "Listen me out!".

@Raymott, thank you. That is what must have happened.

I know language usage is not necessarily logical, but if 'listen' means 'to pay attention to what someone is saying', then 'listen me out' seems more logical than 'hear me out'. ;) And it seems 'strange' only because we are used to hearing 'hear me out'.

Out of 'listen to me' and 'hear me out', is 'listen to me' more authoritative and 'hear me out' more polite? I think 'listen to me' is something a parent might say to a child, or a person trying to get someone to listen to him might say if the other person is not paying attention, but 'hear me out' is more of a request to let him finish speaking?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
@Raymott, thank you. That is what must have happened.

I know language usage is not necessarily logical, but if 'listen' means 'to pay attention to what someone is saying', then 'listen me out' seems more logical than 'hear me out'. ;) And it seems 'strange' only because we are used to hearing 'hear me out'.

Out of 'listen to me' and 'hear me out', is 'listen to me' more authoritative and 'hear me out' more polite? I think 'listen to me' is something a parent might say to a child, or a person trying to get someone to listen to him might say if the other person is not paying attention, but 'hear me out' is more of a request to let him finish speaking?
There's always the possibility that "listen me out" is used in Indian English. It's often harder to say that something isn't English, than to confirm that something is. All we can do in many cases is say we are not familiar with it.

"Listen to me" is more blunt. But it would also depend on the tone of voice. You can say either phrase politely or rudely.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

I am familiar with the expression 'hear me out' to mean as - let me finish what I have to say before you say something.

But the other day, I heard one participant on a TV debate say - 'listen me out'. I am wondering if this is correct or not. I understand that he meant the same as 'hear me out' because someone was trying to interrupt him.

'hear' and 'listen' are a bit confusing because of the close meanings they have. I understand that in general, 'to hear' means to be aware of sound (for example, can you hear me?) and 'to listen' means to pay attention to what someone is saying (for example, are you listening to me?). According to this understanding, 'listen me out' makes sense, but the phrase I have heard before is 'hear me out'.

Thank you

I have heard "listen me out" for "hear me out" in Indian English.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have heard "listen me out" for "hear me out" in Indian English.

@bhaisahab, these days we have lots of debates on TV because of elections in several states. I am surprised to see Lord Meghnad Desai (Baron Desai? Not sure what is the right way to say his name, but he is referred to as 'Lord Desai' on TV here) in the political debates on TV here.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
@bhaisahab, these days we have lots of debates on TV because of elections in several states. I am surprised to see Lord Meghnad Desai (Baron Desai? Not sure what is the right way to say his name, but he is referred to as 'Lord Desai' on TV here) in the political debates on TV here.

His official title is "Baron Desai of St. Clement Danes". A Baron is a type of Lord. The members of the British House of Lords are all known as Lord or Lady X but their official title might be Baron X or Baroness X.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
His official title is "Baron Desai of St. Clement Danes". A Baron is a type of Lord. The members of the British House of Lords are all known as Lord or Lady X but their official title might be Baron X or Baroness X.

@bhaisahab, thank you. When people address someone as 'Sir', they usually use the first name or the full name. But when addressing Baron Desai, I have heard the debate moderator sometimes call him as 'Lord Desai' and sometimes 'Lord Meghnad'. This is the first time I have heard someone's first name being associated with the title 'Lord'. I wonder if the moderator is right or not.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
@bhaisahab, thank you. When people address someone as 'Sir', they usually use the first name or the full name. But when addressing Baron Desai, I have heard the debate moderator sometimes call him as 'Lord Desai' and sometimes 'Lord Meghnad'. This is the first time I have heard someone's first name being associated with the title 'Lord'. I wonder if the moderator is right or not.

"Lord Desai" would be the correct form of address.

Status
Not open for further replies.