Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I was going to say Chinese, but then I read your profile. It's good English with a detectable Asian accent. Classifying it as a certain English accent is impossible I think.
(But of course, 'Asian' isn't an accent.)

WaterFireEarth

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Ah so I have a somewhat "Asian" accent?
What aspects of my speech give that away?
If I wanted to remove my accent what particular features of my speech should I be focusing on?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I honestly wouldn't worry about your accent- it's fine and very clear. Although it doesn't sound 100% native speaker, it's close enough- I'd find it hard to wipe the smile off my face if I could do that in the language I am currently studying. To me, it sounds like someone who has learned mostly AmE pronunciation.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I agree with Raymott and Tdol that your accent cannot be classified as a native English accent. Having said that, some of it sounds like BrE to me, but overall it's not very consistent. I suppose you could "remove" your accent by adopting a BrE (England English in this case) accent. I wouldn't worry about it, however (unless you really want to improve it) - it's very easy to understand.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ah so I have a somewhat "Asian" accent?
What aspects of my speech give that away?
If I wanted to remove my accent what particular features of my speech should I be focusing on?
Haha, it's funny that I missed you saying "Korea" twice in the video - I was putting on my earphones at the time! I listened to it again.
A few words -microphon for microphone; pipple for people. But more generally, you sound like a lot of Asian students that I used to go to university with here in Brisbane. Many of them have very good English accents, but they sound different from students from Arabic countries, for example. I don't know what the similarities are between Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and I can't differentiate a speaker from those languages.
Really you don't need to change anything. You sound better than many natives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.