Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Netherlands
Is it correct to say: Although the test was very difficult I pulled it off.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You would be understood, but the collocation is unusual. You usually pull off an identifiable feat.

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could pull of a passing grade, though.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree that it would be better form to directly mention an antecedent for "it" (e.g., a good grade, as Barb mentioned).

However, "it" refers elliptically to the good grade, so I think the sentence does work. It might be viewed as a bit lazy though, so if this is writing that you yourself will be judged or graded on, I would name the antecedent as others have mentioned.

In informal speech, I wouldn't have even thought twice about the meaning because the reference is obvious. I would even venture to say that this is a common way to say this where I'm from. If the sentence in the OP were used in informal speech, the speaker probably wouldn't take the time to say "Getting a good grade on that test was very difficult, but I pulled it off."

Perhaps it's unusual in some regions, but not where I'm from (again if you are being judged on your writing, then of course it's probably better to establish the antecedent). If you are writing informal fiction, depending on what region your speakers are from and the setting of the story, the sentence in the OP might sound quite natural.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would have expected to see "Passing ​the test was difficult but I pulled it off."

Last edited by a moderator:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was thinking that the sentence would be rewritten to change "it" to "a passing grade." I didn't mean the read had to infer what the "it" could mean. However, I think ems's answer addresses both parts neatly.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was thinking that the sentence would be rewritten to change "it" to "a passing grade." I didn't mean the read had to infer what the "it" could mean. However, I think ems's answer addresses both parts neatly.

I agree that it's a nice option. Reading over my previous post, it looks like I was rambling a bit. I do that sometimes. :) I still don't think I would have hesitated to understand the meaning in a conversation, but I agree that the options above are better ways to write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.