Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Sorry for so many questions, so you can answer only one if three are too burdensome.
1. Does this "As choolchildren" mean "When we are schoolchildren" or "By the title of schoolchildren"?
2. What is the usage of "be" in "whether it be true"'? What's the difference with "whether it is true"?
3. I think this "could have believed" is not a conditional or presumption, but a present pefect meaning of "have been able to believe", right?

is52
ex)As schoolchildren, we learn that different weights fall at the same speed. This simple and readily tested observation, first published by Galileo, refuted Arisototle, who claimed that heavy things fall faster. Galileo put in in Two New Sciences, "I greatly doubt that Aristotle ever tested by experiment whether it be true..." We are left to wonder how people could have believed what they were told for two millennia without ever checking...

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Sorry for so many questions, so you can answer only one if three are too burdensome.
1. Does this "As choolchildren" mean "When we are schoolchildren" or "As the title of schoolchildren"? When we are in school
2. What is the usage of "be" in "whether it be true"'? What's the difference with "whether it is true"? It is a subjunctive
3. I think this "could have believed" is not a conditional or presumption, but a present pefect meaning of "have been able to believe", right? "We are lef to wonder why/how come people believed what they were told..." is another wording that makes sense here, IMO.

is52
ex)As schoolchildren, we learn that different weights fall at the same speed. This simple and readily tested observation, first published by Galileo, refuted Arisototle, who claimed that heavy things fall faster. Galileo put in in Two New Sciences, "I greatly doubt that Aristotle ever tested by experiment whether it be true..." We are left to wonder how people could have believed what they were told for two millennia without ever checking...

Greetings,

cahrliedeut

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What do you mean by "subjuctive"? I know its dictionary meaning, but is it different from conditionals?
Is it the past or present perfect? "could have believed"

2. What is the usage of "be" in "whether it be true"'? What's the difference with "whether it is true"? It is a subjunctive3. I think this "could have believed" is not a conditional or presumption, but a present pefect meaning of "have been able to believe", right? "We are lef to wonder why/how come people believed what they were told..." is another wording that makes sense here, IMO.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Okay, subjunctive mood seems to refer to counterfactual things or wishes that don't exist, but I also have seem a lot more of "whether it is true" than "whether it be true", so I can't tell the difference between the two.

in "whether it be true"'

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Okay, subjunctive mood seems to refer to counterfactual things or wishes that don't exist, but I also have seem a lot more of "whether it is true" than "whether it be true", so I can't tell the difference between the two.

in "whether it be true"'
The use of the present subjunctive is virtually dead in British English. Most speaker of BrE would use 'is' in that sentence.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anyone who writes in a way that suggests that Aristotle refuted something Gallileo said is a bit dodgy in their writing style.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The final extra question I missed.
Which do you think "observation" here means? "watching" or "opinion"? The translation is "watching", but "opinion" also seems to work.

is52

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Which do you think "observation" here means? "watching" or "opinion"? The translation is "watching", but "opinion" also seems to work.
Now which seems more likely to you, keannu?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Most of the questions are from the workbooks for university entrance exam in Korea. The translations were made by Korean professors or teachers of English - some renowned - and sometimes I feel brainwashed by their translations even if theirs are wrong due to their public influence. I only post confusing ones, but in this case, it seems "opinion" to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.