Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Have I caught it right that at the end of the audio file he says: "I says"?
View attachment I says.mp3
(UKBlack: with Eddie Nestor Weds 21st December 2011)

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Apparently, some people find it "cool" to use the third-person singular present tense suffix after I + verb. Eg., "I loves you." (I've even come across with, "I loveth you. " :shock: I assume the person who wrote this wanted to be "super cool". :-? ), "I has it." I have noticed this with a bunch of native English speakers, mostly American girls.
Is this really "trendy"? :roll: How do these sentences ("I loves you.", "I loveth you.", "I has it.", etc.) sound to an educated American?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The speaker in suprunp's post is a black British person.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Apparently, some people find it "cool" to use the third-person singular present tense suffix after I + verb. Eg., "I loves you." (I've even come across with, "I loveth you. " :shock: I assume the person who wrote this wanted to be "super cool". :-? ), "I has it." I have noticed this with a bunch of native English speakers, mostly American girls.
Is this really "trendy"? :roll: How does ? these sentences ("I loves you.", "I loveth you.", "I has it.", etc.) sound to an educated American?
Bhai.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
The speaker in suprunp's post is a black British person.
Those American girls I was referring to were Caucasian, in their early twenties. ;-) (Mostly.)
Anyway, how does a sentence like this, "I loves you." - or any other sentence using this structure - sound to a native English speaker?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Those American girls I was referring to were Caucasian, in their early twenties. ;-) (Mostly.)
Anyway, how does a sentence like this, "I loves you." - or any other sentence using this structure - sound to a Native English speaker?
It sounds like playing with language to me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Anyway, how does a sentence like this, "I loves you." - or any other sentence using this structure - sound to a Native English speaker?
If it's genuine dialect, (there are several BrE dialects in which the conjugation is I/you/(s)he/we they loves, others in which it is I/you/(s)he/we/they love), then I have nothing against it. After all, I speak a dialect - mine just happens to be slightly dated standard BrE RP.

If it's put on as a mark of solidarity for or against something, then it irritates me. That's just my personal dislike of artificiality

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
It sounds like playing with language to me.
So, in proper context (for example, in a friendly conversation among native speakers), would you NOT deem it to be incorrect grammar? (As for, "I loveth you.", then I'd suggest, "I loveth thee." - just to be "stylistic." :-D ) So far, I have thought that this is definitely incorrect, but if you approve it, I'll concede. :)

*Edit

If it's genuine dialect, (there are several BrE dialects in which the conjugation is I/you/(s)he/we they loves, others in which it is I/you/(s)he/we/they love), then I have nothing against it.
I see. :) Thank you for your answer.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
So, in proper context (for example, in a friendly conversation among native speakers), would you NOT deem it to be incorrect grammar? (As for, "I loveth you.", then I'd suggest, "I loveth thee." - just to be "stylistic." :-D ) So far, I have thought that this is definitely incorrect, but if you approve it, I'll concede. :)
It's not grammatically correct, things we say to each other in private don't have to be. ;-)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anyway, how does a sentence like this, "I loves you." - or any other sentence using this structure - sound to a native English speaker?

NOT A TEACHER

(1) Personally, I think that it sounds horrible and outrageous.

(2) If anyone spoke like that and ran for a political office, s/he would be laughed off

the stage. (NOTE: I have read that our President Wilson, 1913 - 1921, used to say

things like "He don't ...." in PRIVATE, but he did not dare speak like that in public.
He cleaned up his language and used doesn't.)

(3) As one moderator told us, some dialects in the United Kingdom permit (permitted?) constructions such as "I loves" and "he love." I have read that some of those people emigrated to the United States before our Civil War (1861 - 1865) and that their dialect was adopted by certain groups. You can still hear "She don't love me" and "She love me so much" in popular music.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
(1) Personally, I think that it sounds horrible and outrageous.
My sentiments exactly! :) Thank you very much for your reply. :up:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Cockney speakers use I says, and also sometimes use the third person singular without the -s. However, it seems to be used with certain verbs like say.

Status
Not open for further replies.