Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
If I want to summarize a paragraph, what are the steps that I have to do . can you summarize this paragraph

The world faces a future of people speaking more than one language, with
English no longer seen as likely to become dominant, a British language expert
says in a new analysis. "English is likely to remain one of the world's most
important languages for the foreseeable future, but its future is more
problematic-and complex-than most people appreciate," said language
researcher David Graddol (Schmid, pars. 1-2).
He sees English as likely to become the "first among equals" rather than
having the global field to itself (par. 3).... The share of the world's population
that speaks English as a native language is falling, Graddol reports i!J..a paper in
Friday's issue of the journal Science (par. 5).
"There is a distinct consciousness in many countries, both developed and
developing, about this dominance of English. There is some evidence of resistance
to it, a desire to change it" said [Scott] Montgomery [the author of another article
published in the same issue of Science]. For example, he said, in the early years
of the Internet it was dominated by sites in English, but in recent years there has
been a proliferation of non-English sites, especially Spanish, German, French,
Japanese, and others (pars. 19-20).
Nonetheless, English is strong as a second language, and teaching it has
become a growth industry, said Montgomery, a Seattle-based geologist and
energy consultant (par. 21).
Graddol noted, though, that employers in parts of Asia are already looking
beyond English. "In the next decade the new 'must learn' language is likely to
be Mandarin" (par. 22).

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You can google "how to summarize a paragraph" for many helpful guides.

Perhaps if you post your attempt at summary, it would be easier to suggest what you need to look out for/work on.

mariamrafeeq

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I tried to write a summary to the next passage , can you check it for me ?

the passage

The world faces a future of people speaking more than one language, with English no longer seen as likely to become domination, a British language expert says in a new analysis.”English is likely to remain one of the world’s most important languages for the foreseeable future, but its future is more problematic-and-complex-than most people appreciate,” said language researcher David Graddol (Schmid, pars. 1-2).
He sees English as likely to become the “first among equals” rather than having the global field to itself (par. 3). . . The share of the world’s population that speaks English as a native language is falling, Graddol reports in a paper in Friday’s issue of the journal Science (par. 5).
“There is a distinct consciousness in my countries, both developed and developing, about this dominance of English. There is some evidence of resistance to it, a desire to change it” said {Scott} Montgomery [the author of another article published in the same issue of Science]. For example, he said, in the early years of the internet it was domination by sites in English, but in recent years there has been a proliferation of non-English sites, especially Spanish, German, French, Japanese, and others (pars. 19-20).
Nonetheless, English is strong as a second language, and teaching it has become a growth industry, said Montgomery, a Seattle-Based geologist and energy consultant (par. 21).
Graddol noted, though, that employers in parts of Asia are already looking beyond English. “In the next decade the new ‘must learn’ language is likely to be Mandarin”

my summary

In the future English will not be dominant, as it is now days , the countries notice the dominance of the English language and they want to change that , and actually now a lot of net sites are in different languages , nonetheless English language still strong as a second Language .

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I tried to write a summary to the next passage , can you check it for me ?

the passage

The world faces a future of people speaking more than one language, with English no longer seen as likely to become domination, a British language expert says in a new analysis.”English is likely to remain one of the world’s most important languages for the foreseeable future, but its future is more problematic-and-complex-than most people appreciate,” said language researcher David Graddol (Schmid, pars. 1-2).
He sees English as likely to become the “first among equals” rather than having the global field to itself (par. 3). . . The share of the world’s population that speaks English as a native language is falling, Graddol reports in a paper in Friday’s issue of the journal Science (par. 5).
“There is a distinct consciousness in my countries, both developed and developing, about this dominance of English. There is some evidence of resistance to it, a desire to change it” said {Scott} Montgomery [the author of another article published in the same issue of Science]. For example, he said, in the early years of the internet it was domination by sites in English, but in recent years there has been a proliferation of non-English sites, especially Spanish, German, French, Japanese, and others (pars. 19-20).
Nonetheless, English is strong as a second language, and teaching it has become a growth industry, said Montgomery, a Seattle-Based geologist and energy consultant (par. 21).
Graddol noted, though, that employers in parts of Asia are already looking beyond English. “In the next decade the new ‘must learn’ language is likely to be Mandarin”

my summary

In the future English will not be dominant, as it is now days ,the countries notice the dominance of the English language and they want to change that , and actually now a lot of net sites are in different languages , nonetheless English language still strong as a second Language .

You do not need to repeat every single point the original paragraph makes.

For example, you write,

"the countries notice the dominance of the English language and they want to change that"

to summarize the original which states,

“There is a distinct consciousness in my countries, both developed and developing, about this dominance of English. There is some evidence of resistance to it, a desire to change it” said {Scott} Montgomery"

Considering how short the original point is, your summary is too detailed. The idea of a summary is to convey the main idea and perhaps list the main points. Do not explain them in detail.

You might want to list (instead of explain) the author's supporting points, after stating what the main idea is.

I encourage you to give it another try and post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.