Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I read the following sentence from a book:

We live near the Hong Kong Space Museum.

Grammar books tell us that we don't need to use "the" before proper nouns. I think the above phrase in bold is a proper noun. Why do they use "the" before a proper noun?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because it is effectively talking about the museum which is called "Hong Kong Space Museum". However, it is also possible that the name of the museum is "The Hong Kong Space Museum". If that is the case, then "the" should have been capitalised in that sentence.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Grammar books tell us that we don't need to use "the" before proper nouns.
That depends on context:

The Prague I live in is rather different from the Prague I first visited in 1996.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Because it is effectively talking about the museum which is called "Hong Kong Space Museum". However, it is also possible that the name of the museum is "The Hong Kong Space Museum". If that is the case, then "the" should have been capitalised in that sentence.

Thanks, ems.

I still don't understand.

In Hong Kong, we have only one Space Museum which is called "Hong Kong Space Museum". Can I ask a silly question as follows:

We went to the Hong Kong Ocean Park yesterday. (Can we say it is effectively talking about the park which is called "Hong Kong Ocean Park".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can I ask a silly question as follows:

We went to the Hong Kong Ocean Park yesterday. (Can we say it is effectively talking about the park which is called "Hong Kong Ocean Park".
Yes.

That was not a silly question. If you are not sure about something in English, then post your question here. We regard no questions as silly - except those posted by the trolls who think it's clever to waste our time.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The use of articles is very hard. Some proper nouns have them as part of their names, and some do not. The Pacific Ocean, but Lake Louise. The Nile River, but Mount Everest.

The United States, but Mexico and Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.