Giving a piece of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kl004535

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear teachers,

Could you tell me the difference between the two sentences below giving some advice ?

1. You should pay more attention to your appearance.
2. You should have paid more attention to your appearance.

I know both advice-giving sentences above are correct, but I wonder what the difference is in advice-giving sense.

I am much obliged to you for your help.(newly-learned:-D)

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Dear teachers,

Could you tell me the difference between the two sentences below giving some advice ?

1. You should pay more attention to your appearance. refers to the present or future
2. You should have paid more attention to your appearance. refers to the past

I know both advice-giving sentences above are correct, but I wonder what the difference is.

I am much obliged to you for your help.(newly-learned:-D)

kl004535

Member Type
Student or Learner
However, when I give some advice, they are definitely for the present or future because I want you to be good in the present or future, not the past. So, why do I still have to say:

You should have paid attention to your appearance.
(refer to the past)

Thanks.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
However, when I give some advice, they are definitely for the present or future because I want you to be good in the present or future, not the past. So, why do I still have to say:

You should have paid attention to your appearance. This is primarily a criticism of past behavior. It is not direct advice, but it does indirectly suggest what you should do in the future.

(refer to the past)

Thanks.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

You should have paid attention to your appearance.
(refer to the past)

Thanks.
I am not surprised that you were not hired! You should have paid more attention to your appearance! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.