Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
1. The Requirement of Justice in Remarriage in Iran's Law

2. Investigating the Requirement of Justice in Remarriage Based on the Law and Religion (in Iran's Law)

These are 2 titles for my friend's paper, he asked me to translate. I wanted to ask you whether I did it correctly, since I'm not a law expert.

Thank you,

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

Sounds alright so long as this "requirement of justice" is elaborated upon in the article. Also, I would write "Iranian Law" as opposed to "Iran's Law".

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
(Not a Teacher)

Sounds alright so long as this "requirement of justice" is elaborated upon in the article. Also, I would write "Iranian Law" as opposed to "Iran's Law".
Thank you Slick,
Should I say 'the Iranian Law' or 'Iranian Law'?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No "the."
Thank you so much, but most respectfully can I ask you to please mention the relevant rules in grammar about not placing 'the' here?
For example, is it because of the name of countries? Or 'Iranian law' isn't considered as a proper noun?
Merci,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Iran" is a proper noun so the adjective "Iranian" takes a capital letter. "Iranian law" is a collective term referring to the entire legal statutes of the country. If you were talking specifically about the law relating to remarriage, it would be "the Iranian Remarriage Law" or something similar.

Under British law, you are not permitted to ...
In American law, there are a lot of rules relating to ...

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
:up: This is true of 'Iranian Law' but not of 'the Law of Iran' - another possibility. Interesting...:-?

b

Am I right? I think that's because we can use 'the' with the expressions with 'of' or 'the s.th of s.th.'
And I think the use of the 'the' in this structure is optional.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Iran" is a proper noun so the adjective "Iranian" takes a capital letter. "Iranian law" is a collective term referring to the entire legal statutes of the country. If you were talking specifically about the law relating to remarriage, it would be "the Iranian Remarriage Law" or something similar.

Under British law, you are not permitted to ...
In American law, there are a lot of rules relating to ...
Thank you, but I can't understand why it is incorrect to say 'the Iranian Law.' You say because it is a collective plural noun? So is it wrong to say 'the police'?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, but I can't understand why it is incorrect to say 'the Iranian Law.' You say because it is a collective plural noun? So is it wrong to say 'the police'?
If you specify 'the' you make it apply to a single law (which would no longer deserve a capital letter): 'the Iranian law against bigamy (or whatever - this really isn't my field :-D)'... make that 'a single law or a number of laws'.

b
PS 'the police' is fine: 'I'm going to report this to the police'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.