[Grammar] What this sensence would be if it was a normal sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No, they are not. Again, I can imagine it is a gradual transition from beng hunter-gatherers to farmers. They would be doing all three at the same time to varying extent during the transition stage before one activity got totally replaced by another. What 'step' do you call that then?
Learning how to become farmers was a big step in man's evolution.

I have nothing more to say to you on this thread. I've spent enough time here, and apparently a lot of it was wasted.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Learning to become farmers was a big step in man's evolution

I have nothing more to say to you on this thread. I've spent enough time here, and apparently a lot of it was wasted.

I agree, that is perfectly correct statement. But not when it is applied to the original question of the headline.
Time wasted because I do not agree with you? I thought it is OK that we agree to disagree here. :-D

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Newspaper headlines can be particually difficult to read, as English verbs can easily turn into nouns. You need some getting-used-to.

I'm going to write the headline with synonyms:

Fossil Find Sheds Light on 'Early Evolutionary' >

Fossil Discovery Provides an Explanation for 'Early Evolutionary' OR

Fossil Discovery Makes 'Early Evolutionary' Easier to Understand.

I hope it's helped. :)

I agree with your point and the explanation that exactly match the one on the top of the article; as:
A 4.4-million year old fossil, discovered in Africa has opened a window onto humans' "early evolutionary steps," according to the group of scientists responsible for the find
Here is the original article on the web: Fossil Find Sheds Light on 'Early Evolutionary Steps'

Last edited:

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thanks sarat.
I still wonder why 'early evolutionary steps' has those inverted commas.
Maybe, those were words quoted from the scientists.
Notice in the article, there is a section titled 'first phase in human evolution', not 'first step in human evolution.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks sarat.
I still wonder why 'early evolutionary steps' has those inverted commas.
Maybe, those were words quoted from the scientists.
Notice in the article, there is a section titled 'first phase in human evolution', not 'first step in human evolution.

I agree, 'phase' would have been a much better word than 'step' but then you have to make allowance for headlines just as in poems you do not look for good English.

Status
Not open for further replies.