Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Russian Federation
I am having difficulties in understanding the difference between "analytic" and "analytical" in their meaning and (proper) use.
When to use the one and when another?

Please explain me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is no difference. Analytical is the more common.

vgv8

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks.
Any reason why this difference appeared (was invented and/or introduced)?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Any reason why this difference appeared (was invented and/or introduced)?
The Oxford English Dictionary records the first use of analytical (spelt analeticall) in1525, and of analytic (spelt analyticke) in 1601.

It defines the former as: "of or pertaining to analysis, employing the analytic method or process"; it defines the latter as: "of, pertaining to, or in accordance with analysis; consisting in, or distinguished by, the resolution of compunds into their elements".

Webster's Third gives analytic as it first definition of analytical. For the second, it gives: "involving the breakdown of a natural subject into component planes and geometric forms" in cubic art.

So, it seems that for some people there may be a difference.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There are many words like this.
magic/magical; mythic/mythical; electric/electrical
Most native speakers would not discern a difference in meaning, even though the usage might be slightly different.

vgv8

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Russian Federation
There are many words like this.
magic/magical; mythic/mythical; electric/electrical
Most native speakers would not discern a difference in meaning, even though the usage might be slightly different.

Yeah, there are hundreds of such pairs and I hoped to understand about differences in all them collectively from answers about one pair.

vgv8

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Russian Federation
The Oxford English Dictionary records the first use of analytical (spelt analeticall) in1525, and of analytic (spelt analyticke) in 1601.

It defines the former as: "of or pertaining to analysis, employing the analytic method or process"; it defines the latter as: "of, pertaining to, or in accordance with analysis; consisting in, or distinguished by, the resolution of compunds into their elements".

Webster's Third gives analytic as it first definition of analytical. For the second, it gives: "involving the breakdown of a natural subject into component planes and geometric forms" in cubic art.

So, it seems that for some people there may be a difference.

But I could not get this distinction.
"the resolution of compunds into their elements" is the definition of analysis (as antonym to synthesis)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But I could not get this distinction.
"the resolution of compunds into their elements" is the definition of analysis (as antonym to synthesis)
It seems relatively straightforward:
Analyze: Resolve compounds into their elements. (Break big things down to their little parts)
Synthesize: Build up compounds from elements. (Make big things out of little parts)

vgv8

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Russian Federation
"-ic" vs. "-ical"

It seems relatively straightforward:
Analyze: Resolve compounds into their elements. (Break big things down to their little parts)
Synthesize: Build up compounds from elements. (Make big things out of little parts)
What seems relatively straightforward?
I could not grasp any difference between given definitions of "analytic" and "analytical".
They seem quite the same, repeating each another by just using different words.

I asked about distinction between:
- analytic vs. analytical

hoping to come to understanding scalable (general) for other pairs of the kind like:

- geometric vs. geometrical
- geographic vs. geographical

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: "-ic" vs. "-ical"

I could not grasp any difference between given definitions of "analytic" and "analytical". There in't one, for most people,
They seem quite the same... That's what we said.

I asked about distinction between:
- analytic vs. analytical

hoping to come to understanding scalable (general) for other pairs of the kind like:
- geometric vs. geometrical
- geographic vs. geographical
Re-read the posts in this thread. Raymott and I have answered your question as clearly as appears to be possible. For some pairs there may be a difference - economic and economical, for example, but we can't give a general rule when there isn't one.

Status
Not open for further replies.