Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hello,

Some irregular verbs that have the same base form as the Past form seem to have the regular "ed" form too. The one that I have problems with right now is "wet". I checked with Cambridge online and it seems that "wet" is regular with no alternative forms listed.

He wetted the cloth and tried to rub the mark away.

But when I checked with McMillan, both "wet" and "wetted" are listed, but the examples only show the irregular form (wet). I feel that "wet" is more common, especially in.

He wet his pants.

But it could be that I'm exposed to more American films. Is it one of those BE/AE differences? But normally Cambridge is pretty good at showing these differences.

And the same goes with "fit" too. Can someone please shed some light here? I'm not sure what to tell my students.

Thank you.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
***NOT A TEACHER***

But when I checked with McMillan, both "wet" and "wetted" are listed, but the examples only show the irregular form (wet). I feel that "wet" is more common, especially in.

I think you're right that "wet" is more common than "wetted", although both are still used today in AmE and BrE. This is what I have found:

5.Bet / Betted, Quit / Quitted and Wet / Wetted Betted, quitted and wetted are often listed as "British" forms. In reality, our research indicates the irregular forms bet, quit and wet are more common than the regular forms in both American and British English. Although the irregular forms are preferred, the regular forms betted, quitted and wetted are still used in contemporary English in both America and, more commonly, in Britain.

Irregular Verb Information

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

Some irregular verbs that have the same base form as the Past form seem to have the regular "ed" form too. The one that I have problems with right now is "wet". I checked with Cambridge online and it seems that "wet" is regular with no alternative forms listed.

He wetted the cloth and tried to rub the mark away.

He wet his pants.

But it could be that I'm exposed to more American films. Is it one of those BE/AE differences? But normally Cambridge is pretty good at showing these differences.

And the same goes with "fit" too. Can someone please shed some light here? I'm not sure what to tell my students.

Thank you.

In AmE, I would not expect to hear nor would I use "wetted". Same with "fitted".

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I seldom her wetted or fitted. The latter I hear as an adjective for suits etc.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do see "wetted" on occasion, but only in a technical sense referring to relay contacts that have a voltage applied. As opposed to "dry contacts."

That's the only time I ever see "wetted" in use.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In AmE, I would not expect to hear nor would I use "wetted". Same with "fitted".
Even in the expression 'I have been fitted up'? Perhaps that expression ('fitted up' = 'framed' - that is, made to appear guilty, often by planting evidence or ignoring evidence of innocence). Perhaps that idiom is strictly Br Eng...

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That expression isn't in use here.