Help please with research on Ehglish vowels!Many thanks=))))

Status
Not open for further replies.

alinchick

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear friends! We need your help in our research work on English Phonetics(here we focus on some english vowels). You can find a short form with several questions below. Answer the questions please but take it easy and write the first thought that crossed your mind. We really appreciate your help! Many thanks beforehand for your time and efforts! =)
Name…….
Age………
Gender…….
Nationality and your mother-tongue…..
Education…..
Occupation…..
1) What colour /smell/taste/sound associations do you have with the vowel [x ]?(you can find the vowel in the word cat [kxt])?
2) What colour /smell/taste/sound associations do you have with thevowel [J]?(you can find the vowel in the word tea [tiː])?
3) What colour /smell/taste/sound associations do you have with the vowel [A]?(you can find the vowel in the word cup [kʌp])?
4) What colour /smell/taste/sound associations do you have with the vowel [L]?(you can find the vowel in the word door [dL])?
5) What colour /smell/taste/sound associations do you have with the vowel[H]?(you can find the vowel in the word glue [glH])?
Thank you very much!=):-D

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear friends! We need your help in our research work on English Phonetics. You can find a short form with several questions below. Answer the questions please but take it easy and write the first thought that crossed your mind. We really appreciate your help! Many thanks beforehand for your time and efforts! =)
Name…….
Age………
Gender…….
Nationality (your mother-tongue)…..
Education…..
Occupation…..
1) What colour /smell/taste/sound associations do you have with the sound [x ]?(you can find the sound in the word cat [kxt])?
2) What colour /smell/taste/sound associations do you have with the sound [J]?(you can find the sound in the word tea [tiː])?
3) What colour /smell/taste/sound associations do you have with the sound [A]?(you can find the sound in the word cup [kʌp])?
4) What colour /smell/taste/sound associations do you have with the sound [L]?(you can find the sound in the word door [dL])?
5) What colour /smell/taste/sound associations do you have with the sound [H]?(you can find the sound in the word glue [glH])?
Thank you very much!=):-D

I am very confused by this. Firstly, your title says it's research on vowels and then you go on to ask about four consonants and one vowel.
Secondly (and more importantly), I cannot imagine anyone except a true synesthete associating any colours, tastes, smells or sounds with particular letters of the alphabet.
I am unable to even begin to formulate any answers to your questionnaire.
A word of advice - decide whether you want "Nationality" or "Mother tongue" - they are completely different.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm afraid I struggle to find any of these associations.

alinchick

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I am very confused by this. Firstly, your title says it's research on vowels and then you go on to ask about four consonants and one vowel.
Secondly (and more importantly), I cannot imagine anyone except a true synesthete associating any colours, tastes, smells or sounds with particular letters of the alphabet.
I am unable to even begin to formulate any answers to your questionnaire.
A word of advice - decide whether you want "Nationality" or "Mother tongue" - they are completely different.

I’m very sorry that you take my point completely wrong. In this particular research we decided to focus on some English vowels. In every question you're supposed to get associations with English vowels) so in that []brackets are the symbols of the vowels (if there’s something wrong with your computer instead you may have any sound) So to make it more or less clear I wrote in brackets that you can find this sound(this vowel) in the word CAT for example(just transcribe the word and you’ll see what I’m talking about). So the same is in the other questions “What associations do you have with the vowel in the word tea?” and so on.
I know that nationality and mother tongue are different things, but for me both points are IMPORTANT
Thank you for your time.
Take care

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I’m very sorry that you take my point completely wrong.[...] . So the same is in the other questions “What associations do you have with the vowel in the word tea?” and so on.
The point for most of us is that we do not make any such associations.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have spoken English for quite a few decades, but vowel sounds have no colour, smell or taste associations for me- they're vowels, not dinner. I don't think /i:/ is blue and meaty and /I/ green and floral. I am not trying to be unhelpful, but I simply don't make these associations with vowel sounds. Writers and poets may be able to craft such reactions but that is normally through a succession of sounds- in isolation they are just sounds IMO. When Shakespeare says Good things of day begin to droop and drowse in Macbeth, the alliteration always hits me in the head, but that is not to say that /d/ or /dr/ always do that, but the overload in that line with the vowel sounds does.

I'm fifty, a male English teacher and my answer to all five questions is none.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm fifty, a male English teacher and my answer to all five questions is none.
I'm 66, a male English teacher, and my answer to all five questions is the same as Tdol's.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm 66, a male English teacher, and my answer to all five questions is the same as Tdol's.

I'm 43, a female English teacher, running an online business that involves a lot of creative writing, and my answer to all of your questions is "none".

In addition, my point about "nationality" and "mother tongue" is that your list of required information said:

Nationality (mother tongue):

I took that to mean that you were asking for the responder's nationality and, if they didn't understand what that meant, you were helping them out by saying "It's your mother tongue that I'm looking for". If you want both pieces of information, then split them between two questions:

Nationality:
Mother tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.