[Idiom] What is the meaning of "have the hairline down"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
Just now I watched a youtube video called "Fake Professor on the First Day PRANK", toward the end of which one of the remarks of the real professor was projected at the bottom of the screen reading "He [the fake professor] had the hairline down." When the real professor made the remark, the students laughed. So, I guessed the meaning of "have the hairline down" is "be scared". However, I want to be sure of it. I googled the phrase and only got three hits which have sentences like "I have the hairline down, but I'm not sure the 6'4" and 250ish is coming my way soon" and the sentences seem to have confirmed my guess on its meaning. Afterwards, I went to dictionaries but I failed to get an explanation.

Please tell me the exact meaning of "have the hairline down". Is there a story behind the phrase? And is it a slang phrase and where is it usually used? Thanks a lot.

Richard

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard of it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,
Just now I watched a youtube video called "Fake Professor on the First Day PRANK", toward the end of which one of the remarks of the real professor was projected at the bottom of the screen reading "He [the fake professor] had the hairline down." When the real professor made the remark, the students laughed. So, I guessed the meaning of "have the hairline down" is "be scared". However, I want to be sure of it. I googled the phrase and only got three hits which have sentences like "I have the hairline down, but I'm not sure the 6'4" and 250ish is coming my way soon" and the sentences seem to have confirmed my guess on its meaning. Afterwards, I went to dictionaries but I failed to get an explanation.

Please tell me the exact meaning of "have the hairline down". Is there a story behind the phrase? And is it a slang phrase and where is it usually used? Thanks a lot.

Richard

To "have something down" or "have something down pat" is to get it exactly right. My guess is that the fake Professor tried to wear his hair the way the real Professor did.

Status
Not open for further replies.