Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I got this question from my teacher, but I am confused. Could someone please help me to interpret it?
"How would you interpret Brown and Levison's politeness principle through the [Hungarian] native speaker's choice between thouing and yeing?"

(thouing - to use the familiar pronoun (thou, tu, du); yeing - to use the forman pronoun (Ye, Vos, Sie))
(I use "thou" and "ye" in a specific sense. I use them as the equivalents of Hungarian terms: H tegez= using thou to address somebody, H magáz= using ye to address somebody)

I do not know what principles she has in her mind. Lakoff had politeness principles, B&L had politeness theory, or am I mistaken?

So I wish to know what principles could she have in mind? What is politeness principle?

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I got this question from my teacher, but I am confused. Could someone please help me to interpret it?
"How would you interpret Brown and Levison's politeness principle through the [Hungarian] native speaker's choice between thouing and yeing?"

(thouing - to use the familiar pronoun (thou, tu, du); yeing - to use the forman pronoun (Ye, Vos, Sie))
(I use "thou" and "ye" in a specific sense. I use them as the equivalents of Hungarian terms: H tegez= using thou to address somebody, H magáz= using ye to address somebody)

I do not know what principles she has in her mind. Lakoff had politeness principles, B&L had politeness theory, or am I mistaken?

So I wish to know what principles could she have in mind? What is politeness principle?
How would you address someone of your age and social status in Hungarian? Next, how would you address someone older? Finally, how would you address someone you are asking to give you a large loan? What it be in the same way that you would address someone of your age?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

If Brown and Levison have a politeness theory, then she can only mean the principles set out in that theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.