What should be the appearance of the Recommendation Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian4eto

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello!! :)

I have the Recommendation Letter already for admission to a Master program, but don't know how should I arrange it, and should I write address, date, etc...?

Do I have to write "Letter of recommendation" somewhere on the paper, or Applicant: name and Recommendor: name

Could you suggest the most formal way! :)
Thanks very much!!! :-D

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, you don't write "recomendation letter" on the recommendation letter.
sample recommendation letters
Sample Letters of Recommendation
A good ending:
I recommend _______ to you without any reservation. He would be a tremendous asset to any company.
:)

Last edited:

marian4eto

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have searched all over the internet and have found, I think, all the sources for recommendation letters, but still don't have an idea how to arrange it on the paper. The recommendation will be placed in a sealed envelope and after that in a big envelope with all other application documents, so do I have to write the address of university recipient or the address of my university? Or its useless considered that the addresses will be written on the big envelope.

So I guess its enough to write only

Dear Sir or Madam,

text

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours faithfully,

I know I ask kinda stupid and obvious questions but just want everything and the appearance to be perfect ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you work at the university (for example, you are a professor), then put the address of the university on the recommendation letter.

~R

reuben1444

Member Type
Student or Learner
Recommendation letters can help you get a job or get admitted to college.You should know what to include in a recommendation letter. Academic letters of recommendation should contain evidence or confirmation of your academic performance, honors and awards, initiative, dedication, integrity, reliability, etc.

Sample Recommendation letter
[Sender's Name]
[Sender's Address,]
[Sender's Phone Number]

[Today's Date]

[Recipient's Name]
[Recipient's Address,]

Dear [Recipient's Name] or To Whom it May Concern

Body of the letter

Yours Sincerely,
[Signature]
[Sender's Name and Title]

A letter of Recommendation

Last edited by a moderator:

alta452

Member Type
Student or Learner
I think this is a GREAT format (above) for a recommendation letter. Where you also want to focus is on the BODY of the recommendation. The content of the body paragraphs can make or break a rec. For my grad school and job applications, I went through a service called IvyEyes Editing, that did a fantastic job polishing my letters of recommendation. I felt a little too subjective editing material about myself, and my editor @IvyEyes was able to be really objective and make some fantastic suggestions and changes. I'd def recommend them. :up:

maria555

Member Type
Student or Learner
I think you should take the help of internet,there are many websites which provides these type of knowledge about jobs and career.You can get the help for your resume and appearance of Recommendation Letter.:-D

hdblue

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Venezuela
Current Location
Bangladesh
yes you are right

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you should take the help of internet,there are many websites which provides these type of knowledge about jobs and career.You can get the help for your resume and appearance of Recommendation Letter.:-D
You can provide information but not knowledge. Knowledge has to be acquired through experience.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:
You can get help by means of the Internet. There are many websites that provide information about jobs and careers. You can get help for writing your resume and your recommend letter on the Internet.

Last edited:

masoudnbox

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Recommendation letters for academic purposes are mostly designed and available via the website of each university. I recommend you to use online Recommendation Letter if you have a choice.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Here's a basic framework with sample text. There's no need to adhere strictly to it; it should suit the situation at hand.

[Salutation. Always use a colon if writing to the US (commas are for friends and family). For the UK, use a comma or nothing at all.]
Dear Sir or Madam: (To Whom It May Concern: | Dear Admissions Office: | etc.)

[Intro paragraph. Basic introduction of the applicant.]
It gives me great pleasure to introduce to you a promising former employee of ours, Ms. Jane Smith, for admission to your graduate program in Finance. Ms. Smith worked under my supervision for two years as a telemarketer, and as such I am very familiar with her abilities and character.

[First body paragraph. More deeply introduce the applicant's performance.]
Ms. Smith started working with us in the summer of 2013. At first she was assigned to the position of junior telemarketer. But in six months, thanks to her exemplary performance, she was promoted to senior telemarketer. Such an achievement is rare among our telemarketing staff, and underscores her commitment to excellence, a trait that will serve her well in her proposed studies.

[Second body paragraph. Go into specifics about the applicant's job or classwork.]
I remember one time when Ms. Smith .....

[Third (and fourth) body paragraph. Add any additional pertinent information you think will help the applicant, but it must be within the context of your professional relationship. Nothing about home life, hobbies or other things a recommender should not be expected to know about. You can also mention a weakness, but don't dwell on it or make excuses for it; instead, present evidence on how the applicant has been overcoming or has the potential to overcome it.]
I would also like to mention the time Ms. Smith helped us organize our office Christmas party. ...

If Ms. Smith has any weaknesses of which to speak, it may be that....

[Conclusion]
Based on these facts, I am convinced that Ms. Smith has what it takes to thrive and excel amid the rigors of your demanding graduate curriculum. I am therefore proud to offer my heartiest recommendation in her support, and hope that you will grant her the honor of admission.

[Sign off]
Sincerely yours, (Warmest regards, | Respectfully yours | etc.)

John Jones
Telemarketing Manager
Acme Marketing Corporation

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you for taking the trouble to post such a good sample letter, bubbha.

The OP has probably gone away long ago, and I'm surprised the thread is still open.

I hope it proves to be useful to somebody else who might chance to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.