[Grammar] Which tense to use in this context?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
Which tense to use in this context?

I used to smoke for 5 years but then I quit and didn't smoke for 3 years. A) Unfortunately, I am smoking regularly again. B) Unfortunately, I smoke regularly again.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Which tense to use in this context?

I used to smoke for 5 years but then I quit and didn't smoke for 3 years. A) Unfortunately, I am smoking regularly again. B) Unfortunately, I smoke regularly again.
The original sentence is not natural. We's say either I smoked for five years... or I used to smoke [STRIKE]for five years[/STRIKE] .... . Either A or B could follow these.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
The original sentence is not natural. We's say either I smoked for five years... or I used to smoke [STRIKE]for five years[/STRIKE] .... . Either A or B could follow these.
Kind of strange.... I can see a lot of examples of "used to do for + a certain number of years". But that's OK. I am more interested in knowing if there are any subtleties which would call or uncall the usage of one or the other option depending on the context.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Kind of strange.... I can see a lot of examples of "used to do for + a certain number of years". But that's OK. I am more interested in knowing if there are any subtleties which would call or uncall the usage of one or the other option depending on the context.

Where have you seen these examples?

Status
Not open for further replies.