Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
"One can’t help but to think what people have been worried about is slowly turning into a reality after hearing about the survey conducted by the Supreme Court that divorce rate among the newly wedded couples is soaring on top of having the highest divorce rate in the world."

With regard to the underlined phrase,

I guess what I am trying to say is reaching the highest divorce rate in the world was known from the past surveys but now the new survey reveals the soaring divorce rate among newly wedded couple.

Does the above sentence accurately reflect the intention?
If not, any suggestions?

Also I would be grateful if you could comment on the general structure of the sentence, whether it's acceptable grammatically or not.

Much appreciated.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"One can’t help but to think what people have been worried about is slowly turning into a reality after hearing about the survey conducted by the Supreme Court that divorce rate among the newly wedded couples is soaring on top of having the highest divorce rate in the world."

My suggestion:

What people have been worried about is slowly turning into reality - the survey conducted by the Supremem Court revealed that the divorce rate among the newly wedded couples have surpassed the highest recorded divorce rate in the world.

The phrases underlined are unnecessary.

not a teacher

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles

My suggestion:

What people have been worried about is slowly turning into reality - the survey conducted by the Supremem Court revealed that the divorce rate among the newly wedded couples have surpassed the highest recorded divorce rate in the world.

The phrases underlined are unnecessary.

not a teacher

I don't think your suggestion accurately reflects my intention.

It's not that the divorce rates among the newly wedded couples have "surpassed" whatever the pre-existing divorce rates were but my intention is that the new survey has revealed unknown facts about the soaring divorce rates among the newly wedded couples besides previous survey result about having the highest divorce rate in the world (which may have been revealed from past surveys).

And in that sense, I was wondering whether usage of "on top of" was adequate or not.

Last edited:

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
divorce rate among the newly wedded couples is soaring on top of having the highest divorce rate in the world.

You did not mention about the 'new unknown facts' in your original sentence which seems to be talking only about the divorce rate. The words underlined are not clear. You can't say 'soaring on top', soaring is moving upwards rapidly.

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
divorce rate among the newly wedded couples is soaring on top of having the highest divorce rate in the world.

You did not mention about the 'new unknown facts' in your original sentence which seems to be talking only about the divorce rate. The words underlined are not clear. You can't say 'soaring on top', soaring is moving upwards rapidly.

"New unknown facts" is just words I used to explain my intention in the original sentence, and it refers to (I don't know why I am explaining this) "soaring divorce rates among newly wedded couples".

And also, by "on top of" I meant "in addition to" or "besides" as in A on top of B,
A being "divorce rate among the newly wedded couples is soaring"
and B "having the highest divorce rate in the world"

and I was wondering, like I said, whether the usage of "on top of" was appropriate in that context.

I don't know why you are taking out everything before "soaring" and telling me "soaring on top" doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

The whole sentence is a bit of a mess, for one thing there is no punctuation and for another "newly wedded couples" don't divorce, they usually have to have been married and then separated for a minimum period of time before divorce is allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.