Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
How to confirm presence in an event (trade fair, anniversary party, meetings, etc) when you're invited and asked for confirmation?

I confirm my presence at the meeting/event/anniversary.

Is this right?

Thank you.

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
The reply will rather depend on the format of the invitation, and the nature of the event. If it is a business occasion, it will be along the lines of "Thank you for inviting me to attend the conference [title], at [location] on [date]. I have much pleasure in accepting and shall look forward to meeting you then". It is wise to specify all these details as double confirmation of the event, location and date.

A formal social invitation would need a reply along the lines of "[your name] thanks [inviter's name] for their kind invitation to [event], and has much pleasure in accepting."

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you Anglika, I agree with you that it depends much on the situation. Because of this I was looking for a standard way to say, not so formal and not too informal.

As I have already replied I would like to know if the following sentence is grammaticaly correct.

Thank you for the invitation, I confirm my attendance at the meeting in São Paulo.

regards,

[My Name]

It's not a very formal meeting anyway. And today everything must be as direct and straight as possible (at least I grew up with this idea in mind) that sometimes I feel ashamed to write things like it's a pleasure, thanks for the invitation, I'm looking forward, etc.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Then why not say so in your initial posting.

Frankly, there's either 'the way' to reply to a specific invitation; or ', as seems to befit your needs:
"Thanks. I'll be there."

And today everything must be as direct and straight as possible

To not clutter up the directness, we'll see dropping of the 'thanks' next.

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Then why not say so in your initial posting.

Well I provided an example and didn't say anything about formal or not formal, although I think it's very helpful to know what formal would be like.

Frankly, there's either 'the way' to reply to a specific invitation; or ', as seems to befit your needs:
"Thanks. I'll be there."

And today everything must be as direct and straight as possible

To not clutter up the directness, we'll see dropping of the 'thanks' next.

Welcome to the new world.

Thanks David.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thank you for the invitation, I confirm my attendance at the meeting in São Paulo.

'Attendance' would be better than presence. The comma should be replaced with a full-stop I think.

Thanks. I'll be there.

This would be very informal.

not a teacher

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
'Attendance' would be better than presence. The comma should be replaced with a full-stop I think.

This would be very informal.

not a teacher

Thank you!:up:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you!:up:
You can confirm you intention to attend, but you cannot confirm your attendance or presence until you are there.

"Thank you for your (kind) invitation. I would be pleased to attend"

That is not too formal, nor too casual. It would suit most ordinary invitations.

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
You can confirm you intention to attend, but you cannot confirm your attendance or presence until you are there.

"Thank you for your (kind) invitation. I would be pleased to attend"

That is not too formal, nor too casual. It would suit most ordinary invitations.

Thanks, it's an interesting point to take into consideration. But to me it sounds like you don't give much importance to the event. At least it's my impression as a student. Thanks Raymott ;-).

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Does that mean you cannot confirm anything other than your 'intention' until you have done it?

Example - you cannot confirm going to a party but you can only confirm your 'intention to go' to the party because you have not come to it yet?

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Does that mean you cannot confirm anything other than your 'intention' until you have done it?

Example - you cannot confirm going to a party but you can only confirm your 'intention to go' to the party because you have not come to it yet?

I think doesn't really matter the way you confirm (in bad English or good English), if you're confirming your attendance to something it's implied that you're going to be there unless some unforseen problem happens. No?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Strictly speaking that is what you are confirming - your intention.
It doesn't sound too bad with "attendance". You could confirm your attendance. And some seminars, etc. say "Please confirm your attendance a week prior to the event".
But I wouldn't use it with "presence". "This is to confirm my presence at your party" doesn't work (for me).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks, it's an interesting point to take into consideration. But to me it sounds like you don't give much importance to the event. At least it's my impression as a student. Thanks Raymott ;-).

These questions of proper etiquette would vary between countries. Really, all you need to communicate is that you'll be there (or not). That's what your potential hosts want to know.
How much importance do you think this conveys:
"I got your invitation. I'll try to make it. Ciao". :)

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
How much importance do you think this conveys:
"I got your invitation. I'll try to make it. Ciao". :)

Almost the same of "Thank you for your invitation. I would be pleased to attend" .

:lol:

Don't want to overdiscuss this topic but maybe if you replace the would with will I would feel more confidence.

Thank you again. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.