Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yesterday I saw the movie "The Cold Light Of Day". I feel puzzled at a line. The man

doubted the girl was his dead father's lover, and he asked her :"Were you sleeping

with him
?" What's the difference if he asked "Did you sleep with him?" ? There

should be a difference between these two tenses, right? Thanks for your help!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Were you sleeping with him?" asks whether you were doing it frequently or customarily. "Did you sleep with him" asks whether you did it at least once.

Last edited:

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Not a teacher

I feel "Were you sleeping with him?" puts more stress on the repetition of the action, as if he wanted to know whether it happened more than once or was more of a regular thing. "Did you sleep with him?" sounds more general. On the whole, I'd say they're not that different but do wait for second - native English speaker - opinion.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher

I feel "Were you sleeping with him?" puts more stress on the repetition of the action, as if he wanted to know whether it happened more than once or was more of a regular thing. "Did you sleep with him?" sounds more general. On the whole, I'd say they're not that different but do wait for second - native English speaker - opinion.
Nyota, here is your second confirmation from a Native Speaker! Probus is correct: "Were you sleeping with him?" asks whether you were doing it frequently or customarily. "Did you sleep with him" asks whether you did it at least once.

Cheers,
A4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.