English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,
I need some books for my students which are approppriate and interesting.Please, give some names of novels, story books, etc. Which authors do you recommend?

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi,
I need some books for my students which are approppriate and interesting.Please, give some names of novels, story books, etc. Which authors do you recommend?

Tastes generally differ in terms of both appropriacy and interest, still you may well like Macmillan graded readers
It could also help to know the age.

ps. More importantly, what's your objective? Graded readers are usually fine for the-so-called 'reading for pleasure' with little visible outcome. To get the most of reading in class, you may want to explore today's newspaper and magazine articles that could bring in a lot of good language and a bit of fresh air. It may vary from country to country but generally speaking UI learners can cope with the newspaper language. Regarding reinforcing reading sub-skills, there are a lot of 'Reading Skills' editions like Q-series: http://elt.oup.com/catalogue/items/...ss/level_4/?cc=global&selLanguage=en&mode=hub or a great deal of FCE reading paper tests/activities available on-line in gbytes. Last but not least, consider using reading games - they are real fun.

Last edited:

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
Regarding reading, I really like and recommend Active Skills for Reading series, by Neil j. Anderson. The text there are up-to-date. Moreover, it really helps the students' structures and vocabulary knowledge. They can work on paraphrasing the sentences, summarizing it, you can have them act up some conversations, etc.

Good Luck!

winnie22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Students' level is upper-intermediate and they are 17 years old. thanks for suggestions

winnie22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Actually, my objective is to teach especially spoken language. I want my students to improve their vocabulary and practice grammar while learning the daily language

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Actually, my objective is to teach especially spoken language. I want my students to improve their vocabulary and practice grammar while learning the daily language

Hi,
Really those books (active skills for reading that I already mentioned or any reading books) can help their structures and vocabulary. They really do the tricks. It helps them to replace the old words and structures with the new ones so that they can adapt their language proficiency to that of the Upper Intermediate level. However, you need to make it interesting because as you said they're teenagers and through experience I've realized they're not mostly interested in doing lots of homework. You can make it fun for them, have them have some talk shows, some role play some for and against type of discussions. You can do them after they read the article and after looking up the words at home. Have them use the new words and structures in their speaking and the group that can use more of them will be awarded with a clap and hooray;-).
Good Luck!

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
... novels, story books, etc. Which authors do you recommend?

Actually, my objective is to teach especially spoken language.

:-D You can't expect to find spoken language in novels, can you? :)

... I want my students to improve their vocabulary and practice grammar while learning the daily language

Have a look at newspapers and magazines - they are the best sources of up-to-date authentic language, that is if you are particularly into reading. To the best of my belief however, teenagers will especially appreciate a video clip. You can find anything to your taste on youtube. It might take some time to find the most engaging one and plan the activities but, if done properly, it's worth every spared minute. :)

... you need to make it interesting ... make it fun for them, have them have some talk shows... Have them use the new words and structures in their speaking...

:-D Absolutely, 'make them do smth' and that's what really counts. :up:

winnie22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you all. You are right, making students active helps them learn better and without getting bored. Novel was just an example.I know novels have literature but sometimes they may contain conversations which exemplify daily language, I think.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Novel was just an example.I know novels have literature but sometimes they may contain conversations which exemplify daily language, I think.

I'd be really grateful if you could recommend me a novel with even bits of 'daily language' that is both interesting for teenagers and acceptable in class. ;-)

winnie22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Haven't you read any novels which contain any conversation between people. Such as, "She said: -I am chomping at the bit..."

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Indeed, I have read a good many books but very few of them I'd find worth using in class. There are issues to consider like the topic itself, the amount of valuable language, the register, timing, etc. but more importantly, the outcome. Idiomatic language - that's what your example is about - is a good thing to master in general but if it's time-consuming there's little value in it. No one could deny that reading novels takes a lot of time, could they? Of course, it depends on the amount of hours available...
Let's see what others say..:)

ps alternatively, it would be nice if you could share the way you use novels in class ;-)

winnie22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I do not say I search for them to use in class. I will use them neither in class nor as a homework to give my students. I will just suggest them to my students who ask for books individually for improvement in English

Status
Not open for further replies.