Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I can not understand phonetic script never ever:( What should i do ?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When do you need to use it? There are dictionaries online with sound files, so you can hear the pronunciation.

özlemlonging

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
When do you need to use it? There are dictionaries online with sound files, so you can hear the pronunciation.

I need to use it in my listening and pronunciation exam.I am a stdent of ELT( english language teaching) department in a univercity in turkey

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can not understand phonetic script never ever:( What should i do ?
First of all, be more positive. Remember that Turkish spelling indicates the pronunciation of the word; You don't need phonemic symbols, because your alphabet is virtually phonemic. English spelling is not so helpful. Phonemic transcription is just a way of showing how words are pronounced.

As you are studying English rather than phonetics, I assume you are talking about phonemic transcription. Well,you know many of the consonant symbols already. /f/, for example, is the sound that is usually represented by the letter f in English - and Turkish. There are others like this, so you already have a start.

Then there are symbols such as /dʒ/. It looks a little strange at first, but you soon get used to that. It's just a way of representing the sound that we usually write in English as j, and you write in Turkish as c.

The vowels are not quite so simple, but, once they are learnt they make life a lot simpler than trying to decide how a should be pronounced in, for example, bat, bath, bathed.

Remember, too, that /ɒf, ʌf, u:, ɔ:, əʊ, a,ʊ ə/ may look daunting at first sight. but a few hours work on them will make life a lot easier when you try to find out the pronunciation of words containing the letters ough, or ow, or au, etc.

Final points:
1. . Do not worry if you make the occasional mistake in reading phonemic transcription even after hours of study. Two years ago I heard one of the best known authorities on English phonetics make a very basic mistake. We all do it.
2. Accept that it takes much longer to be good at writing words in phonemic script (assuming you have to) than to be good at reading phonemic transcription.

özlemlonging

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you very much

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Accept that it takes much longer to be good at writing words in phonemic script (assuming you have to) than to be good at reading phonemic transcription.
A postscript to that, and a tip to beginning teachers.

In the days when I was a trainer on Cert TESOL courses, my trainees in the phonology sessions would not infrequently say that they would never feel confident enough to use phonemic transcription when they started teaching. I would point to the large chart of symbols next to the whiteboard, and ask them why they thought I had it there. Most of them said that it was for the benefit of my trainees and students. They were, of course, right.

At least, partly right.

Occasionally a bright, or cheeky, trainee would hit on the other reason I had it there. It was there as a crib sheet* to spare me embarrassment if my mind went blank.

* Cheat sheet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

özlemlonging

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
A postscript to that, and a tip to beginning teachers.

In the days when I was a trainer on Cert TESOL courses, my trainees in the phonology sessions would not infrequently say that they would never feel confident enough to use phonemic transcription when they started teaching. I would point to the large chart of symbols next to the whiteboard, and ask them why they thought I had it there. Most of them said that it was for the benefit of my trainees and students. They were, of course, right.

At least, partly right.

Occasionally a bright, or cheeky, trainee would hit on the other reason I had it there. It was there as a crib sheet* to spare me embarrassment if my mind went blank.

* Cheat sheet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A useful tip thank u very much..I hope i will be a nice and knowlegeble teacher:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.