Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
United States
Hello,
I am always unsure when to use its or it's. The current challenge lies in the following sentence:

"Immigration to the United States had left the family in a poor shape and its trial and error method to assimilate was unsuccessful in providing a structure necessary for schooling."

Your help is appreciated.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,
I am always unsure when to use its or it's. The current challenge lies in the following sentence:

"Immigration to the United States had left the family in a poor shape and its trial and error method to assimilate was unsuccessful in providing a structure necessary for schooling."

Your help is appreciated.

It's (it is) not so difficult but it's (it has) always been a problem for learners. If "it is" or "it has" fits the sentence, you should use the apostrophe. If not, you shouldn't.

Last edited:

sfyn2it

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
United States
It's (it is) not so difficult but it's (it has) always been a problem for learners. If "it is" or "it has" fits the sentence, you should use the apostrophe. If not, you shouldn't.

Thank you for the lesson. To quiz myself...the above sentence should then read "its" and NOT "it's". Is that the proper understanding?

Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for the lesson. To quiz myself...the above sentence should then read "its" and NOT "it's". Is that the proper understanding?

Yes, that's right.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, you're right. "It's" is always a contraction. "Its" isn't. "Its" is the possessive.

My defence.
Your defence.
His defence.
Its defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.