Current Location
Saudi Arabia

subcutaneous adjective
/ˌsʌb.kjʊˈteɪ.ni.əs/

subcutaneous
(ˌsʌbkjuːˈteɪnɪəs )

cutaneous

/ˌsʌb.kjʊˈteɪ.ni.əs/

"Did you know we carry two kinds of fat? Surprisingly, that jiggley blubber you see in bathing suit pictures is the safer kind. It's known as subcutaneous fat."

"Dr. Lieb participated in a study at Eastern Virginia Medical School comparing visceral fat to subcutaneous fat. He said the results were clear: visceral is worse."

"So you don't want to have a whole lot of subcutaneous fat either, but in general, the subcutaneous fat is the less inflammatory, the more healthy, of the two depots, the two types of fat," he said.

Listening beyond numbers to that word, but I couldn’t hear the k sound although it has been repeated four times.
However, In this video, it is being pronounced clearly to those who are beginners like me. I have no excuse to say that the k sound is not clear at all. In a word, will you listen to this video to make sure that the k sound is not being dropped or it is difficult for me to hear it because I am still a beginner, please?

P.S. -- I wish I could do more to help
you with myself and apologize for not being helpful. Fortunately, I am lucky to have you, native speakers, around. Thank you
profusely for your patience and understanding.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The /k/ sound is there.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: - although the (first? ... I didn't watch the whole video) doctor doesn't MAKE* much of it. He also does indeed say 'depot' (/di:pǝʊ/) which I at first assumed was a transcription error for 'deposit' (which I'd expect to hear from a Br English speaker - although Ray might be able to enlighten me about a possible technical use of the term 'depot').

b

PS * omitted first time round, though it's what I meant.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
:up: - although the (first? ... I didn't watch the whole video) doctor doesn't much of it. He also does indeed say 'depot' (/di:pǝʊ/) which I at first assumed was a transcription error for 'deposit' (which I'd expect to hear from a Br English speaker - although Ray might be able to enlighten me about a possible technical use of the term 'depot').

b
No, I wouldn't say "depot" there - though I couldn't say it was wrong.

"Depot (pron.: /ˈdɛp/ dep-oh or /ˈdp/ dee-poh) is from the French dépôt which means a deposit (as in geology or banking) or a storehouse."
Depot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, OD, note that 'depot' is pronounced here in the American way. The Br Eng pronunciation is /'depǝʊ/.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.