Any Nicknames for Canadians and Australians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi! Americans are Uncle Sam, Britons are John Bull, and New Zealanders are Kiwi.

What about Canadians and Australians? Do they have any nicknames?
Thanks!:roll:

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Hi! Americans are Uncle Sam, Britons are John Bull, and New Zealanders are Kiwi.

What about Canadians and Australians? Do they have any nicknames?
Thanks!:roll:

If you mean do they have personifications, then Australia has the Boxing Kangaroo. I am not sure that Canada has anything in particular. France has "Marianne".

"Kiwi" for New Zealanders is a nickname, like Yankee or Brit, rather than national personification.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, as just mentioned, there's a big difference between a personification and a nickname. I've never, ever heard someone from the U.S. referred to as "an Uncle Sam," but it's pretty common to see something like "Uncle Sam will..." in reference to the US as a whole, or the US government.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, as just mentioned, there's a big difference between a personification and a nickname. I've never, ever heard someone from the U.S. referred to as "an Uncle Sam," but it's pretty common to see something like "Uncle Sam will..." in reference to the US as a whole, or the US government.

Thank you! I mixed the concept between " personification" and " nickname" because I used to use an English-Mandarin dictionary, which does not clarify enough. Now I prefer using English-English dictionaries. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.