[General] TO ALL AMERICANS: Which accent do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetuser

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Hi guys!

Unfortunately I'm not a native speaker but I want to ask you if I have an accent, If yes, can you hear that I'm from somewhere else? If not, which American accent do I have?

Here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/user59896682/accent-tag

Here are the words (I know, I know... the "famous" accent tag ;)):

Aunt
Roof,
Route,
Wash,
Oil,
Theater,
Iron,
Salmon,
Caramel,
Fire,
Water,
Sure,
Data,
Ruin,
Crayon,
New Orleans,
Pecan,
Both,
Again,
Probably,
Spitting image,
Avenue,
Alabama,
Lawyer,
Coupon,
Mayonnaise,
Syrup,
Pajamas,
Caught,
Naturally,
Aluminium,
Envelope

Thanks a lot!

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, your accent sounds...normal, I guess. I don't detect much of an accent, aside from a few peculiar pronunciations. In particular: Mayonnaise, Crayon, New Orleans, and Envelope (you used the pronunciation for the verb instead of the noun).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is VERY hard to tell where someone is from if all you hear is a list of words. Try reading a passage
You'll hear "cray-yawn" versus "cran" for crayon in different places. N'walins or New or-LEANS or New Or-lee-anz or New Orlins - that doesn't tell you much either.
For now, I'd say upper midwest, but again, try a full passage.

Nightowl77

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Holy... I think your accent is is extremely well spoken and neutral! albeit a bit monotone. But overall you sound very Midwestern. I would never guess you were not a native speaker of English.

internetuser

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Thank you :) I'm a German native speaker... I think that's the reason why I speak a bit monotone, haha

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
How impressive!:-D
I'm not sure which, but you definitely speak with an American accent.
I had thought you were a native speaker of English before I checked your Member Info.

internetuser

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
It is VERY hard to tell where someone is from if all you hear is a list of words. Try reading a passage
You'll hear "cray-yawn" versus "cran" for crayon in different places. N'walins or New or-LEANS or New Or-lee-anz or New Orlins - that doesn't tell you much either.
For now, I'd say upper midwest, but again, try a full passage.

Would you please be so kind and click on the link I posted :) I read a passage so yeah... I'd like to know what you think :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's VERY neutral and you have obviously worked hard. Only as an American can I hear that there is something that is just a little bit off. However, it sounds like you grew up in the USA but in a house where English wasn't the first language, rather than someone who learned it later.

The only two things I heard:
- Some of your soft i sounds (it, hit, miss) may be a bit more like "ee"
- Some of your Ds were a bit T-like. I think Americans tend to make their Ts into Ds when they have vowels on each side (In Philadelphia, they don't drink "water" they drink "wudder," for example) but you seem to have gone in the other direction.

I can't say which American accent you have - as I said, it's very neutral.

internetuser

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
It's VERY neutral and you have obviously worked hard. Only as an American can I hear that there is something that is just a little bit off. However, it sounds like you grew up in the USA but in a house where English wasn't the first language, rather than someone who learned it later.

The only two things I heard:
- Some of your soft i sounds (it, hit, miss) may be a bit more like "ee"
- Some of your Ds were a bit T-like. I think Americans tend to make their Ts into Ds when they have vowels on each side (In Philadelphia, they don't drink "water" they drink "wudder," for example) but you seem to have gone in the other direction.

I can't say which American accent you have - as I said, it's very neutral.

Thanks for your answer :) I grew up watching cartoons, movies, etc in English but I've never lived in an English speaking country. I think that's the reason why I'm able to pronounce things like British people or Americans... Or let's say: almost like an American :) The funny thing is that I've never worked hard on my accent, it comes naturally - wether it's French or English or Italian! It's pretty cool to know what kind of mistakes I make! Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.