Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi teachers, may I know why the author wrote "a child" instead of "children" in the sentence below?

At least
eight of the nine members of the outgoing Politburo Standing Committee have a child who has studied or worked extensively abroad.

I've read countless of similar sentences that begin with plural nouns but describe their non-common possessions as singular. Why can't I find such sentence construction in grammar textbooks?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi teachers, may I know why the author wrote "a child" instead of "children" in the sentence below?
The writer wants to make it clear that each member has one child who has studied or worked abroad. It is quite possible that some or all of the members may have more than one child, but not all of these other children have studied or worked abroad.

Vaedoris

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Malaysia
The writer wants to make it clear that each member has one child who has studied or worked abroad. It is quite possible that some or all of the members may have more than one child, but not all of these other children have studied or worked abroad.

Thank you

Is the sentence grammatically correct?

It can be understood that the sentence describes what you have just explained, but technically can I or not grasp the meaning as such: the eight members have one common child?

It sounds ridiculous but technically, can the sentence be understood like so?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you

Is the sentence grammatically correct? Yes.

It can be understood that the sentence describes what you have just explained, but technically can I or not grasp the meaning as such: the eight members have one common child?

It sounds ridiculous but technically, can the sentence be understood like so? No.

Bhai.

Status
Not open for further replies.