[Grammar] Exuberate-Proper usage in a sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

melaniemedel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a question on the proper usage of the word exuberate in a sentence. When explaining to a friend why I do not date men that act a certain way, I said "I exuberate enough of that myself." He then proceeded to tell me 1) exuberate was not a word to which I immediately pulled out a dictionary and 2) I did not use the word properly in a sentence. If anyone could shed some light as to whether or not I used this word properly in a sentence I would appreciate it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you understand the definition of "to exuberate" to be?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a question on the proper usage of the word exuberate in a sentence. When explaining to a friend why I do not date men that act a certain way, I said "I exuberate enough of that myself." He then proceeded to tell me 1) exuberate was not a word to which I immediately pulled out a dictionary and 2) I did not use the word properly in a sentence. If anyone could shed some light as to whether or not I used this word properly in a sentence I would appreciate it.
Exuberate means to be exuberant, happy, gleeful. In Old English it meant to be fruitful. It doesn't work in your sentence.

melaniemedel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you understand the definition of "to exuberate" to be?
I understand it to mean having an abundance or overflowing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

So your sentence reads "I have an abundance enough of that myself" or "I am overflowing enough of that myself". Do they make sense to you?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Why use an archaic meaning that few will understand? The word may be in a dictionary, but why not use words that people will understand? Language is about communication- if you're talking to a professor of Middle English, then use archaic terms, but if you're talking to an ordinary person, why do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.