Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi everyone here, I've had an argument with my English teacher at my school, so I want to ask you, which form of these sentences is better, more common, or if they have different meanings:

We tried to find/finding a cheap flight, but we were too late.

My brother tried to learn/learning Japanese at night school, but he gave up after two months.

The next thing I want to ask you is if it's more common to use "ATM" or "teller machine", than "cash machine"?

Thank you for your answers.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone here, I've had an argument with my English teacher at my school, so I want to ask you, which form of these sentences is better, more common, or if they have different meanings:

We tried to find/finding a cheap flight, but we were too late.

My brother tried to learn/learning Japanese at night school, but he gave up after two months.

The next thing I want to ask you is if it's more common to use "ATM" or "teller machine", than "cash machine"?

Thank you for your answers.

I began to post my response on your first question, but first I think I would like to know your opinion . With regard to your second question you would most likely hear "ATM" or "ATM machine" in AmE.

MrMid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for your response, my opinion on the first question is that both are possible, but the infinitive form is more common, but I'm not native speaker, so I would like to know your opinion. And yes - I thought the ATM would be more common.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your response, my opinion on the first question is that both are possible, but the infinitive form is more common, but I'm not native speaker, so I would like to know your opinion. And yes - I thought the ATM would be more common.

I agree with your opinion, but I'm not sure that the infinitive form is necessarily more common.

MrMid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So if I understood right, the sentences have exactly the same meanings, but the continuous form might be more common, right?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In my opinion the infinitive form is more common. Others — possibly your teacher — may legitimately disagree.

In the UK, 'cash machine' is more common than ATM.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.