Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
" You've got a girlfriend but you're still stranded on third base.'' Nothing serious was happening between the two a speaker is refering to (general things like kisses and huging).

OR

"You've finally got to first base." That would involve a more serious and intimate relationship?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I take it to mean that if you got to first base you are in the hand-holding and kissing stage. As you move on to the other bases things become more intimate.
Basically you advance as you move from first base further on. And it's not vise versa?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On the other hand, if you're stuck on third base, it means you haven't had intercourse yet.

I agree with Gil: I can't get to first base is the most common thing you'll hear related to this.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
On the other hand, if you're stuck on third base, it means you haven't had intercourse yet.

I agree with Gil: I can't get to first base is the most common thing you'll hear related to this.
I always thought it was a baseball analogy. You can't get to third base without having passed through first and second. If you can't get to first base, you've struck out.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is. At first base, you kiss "and stuff." Things become progressively more intimate as you round 2nd and head to 3rd. If you have full intercourse, you've made it home.

There is a great song by Meatloaf, Paradise by the Dashboard Light, that has a wonderful commentary by an actual baseball announcer as the young man attempts to "come home." He rounds third, the commentator says "Holy cow, I think he's gonna make it..." and then the song resumes with the woman saying "Stop right there!"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It is. At first base, you kiss "and stuff." Things become progressively more intimate as you round 2nd and head to 3rd. If you have full intercourse, you've made it home.

There is a great song by Meatloaf, Paradise by the Dashboard Light, that has a wonderful commentary by an actual baseball announcer as the young man attempts to "come home." He rounds third, the commentator says "Holy cow, I think he's gonna make it..." and then the song resumes with the woman saying "Stop right there!"
The whole "Bat Out of Hell" album is great!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I will listen to it now, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.