[Grammar] Subordinating Conjuction + Comma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I have a question regarding comma rules in English.
As far as my knowledge goes, you only use comma if Subordinating Clause starts off the sentence then the Independent (Main) Clause comes after it, such as this one = "Because I ate a rotten hotdog , I got sick"
And you dont need to use any comma if Independent (Main) Clause starts off then sentence and Subordinating Clausecomes after it such as this one = "I ate a hotdog because I was hungry"
Now here's the sentence I'm confused about:
"This type of case can be easily seen as lacking merit, because each of the elements of a tort(a civil wrongdoing) was not present, and thus no law was broken."

why is comma used before the subordinating clause/conjuction ?

p.s- additional question: ", and thus no law was broken." I know , + coordinaiting conjuction connects two indepenent clauses, but "thus no law was broken" <- is this a full sentence? to me, it seems like subordinating clause because of "thus"

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"This type of case can be easily seen as lacking merit, because each of the elements of a tort(a civil wrongdoing) was not present, and thus no law was broken."

The subordinate clause is quite long and contains a subject (subjects) and a predicate (predicates) of its own.

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

The subordinate clause is quite long and contains a subject (subjects) and a predicate (predicates) of its own.

Isn't clause suppose to have both Subject and a Verb?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What I meant to say by "of its own" is that "the type of case" doesn't appear in the following clause in any identity.

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
5 Calls for a Comma Before
Thanks for the link! :-o
But I'm still not getting it.... It seems like they just put comma before it and say it has different meaning
but to me, it looks the same... with and without
I cant see the changes in meaning

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What I meant to say by "of its own" is that "the type of case" doesn't appear in the following clause in any identity.

what do you mean by "the type of case" doesnt appear in the clause?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

You mean "This type of case " is not included(?) in the second half of the sentence? that they are totally unrelated?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

OHHHH!!! so when the subject of the independent caluse is not related to the subordinating clause , a comma is needed!!
I GET IT!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
But I've got to tell you I'm still not sure whether native speakers agree with me on that one. To be honest with you, the main reason I'd put a comma there is because the sentence is long.

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
But I've got to tell you I'm still not sure whether native speakers agree with me on that one. To be honest with you, the main reason I'd put a comma there is because the sentence is long.
hmmm? sentence is not long...
only subordinating cluase is "because each of the elements of a tort(a civil wrongdoing) was not present" rest of them is independent clauses

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't agree with this reasoning.
I left the party because the babysitter called me to tell me that my child was sick. No comma.

I'd say the comma is more like "So, I'm going to give you some additional information now."

Did you see Peter do that amazing backflip at the party?
No, I had left the party by then [comma - oh, and if you care, it's because the babysitter had called...]

It provides amplifying information, or clarifying information -- the main point of what I'm saying is that I missed the backflip, so the "because" part isn't that essential.

It has more to do with the writer's intent in telling you what is the essential part of the sentence, or the heart of the meaning, and less to do with a strict grammar rule.

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I can't agree with this reasoning.
I left the party because the babysitter called me to tell me that my child was sick. No comma.

I'd say the comma is more like "So, I'm going to give you some additional information now."

Did you see Peter do that amazing backflip at the party?
No, I had left the party by then [comma - oh, and if you care, it's because the babysitter had called...]

It provides amplifying information, or clarifying information -- the main point of what I'm saying is that I missed the backflip, so the "because" part isn't that essential.

It has more to do with the writer's intent in telling you what is the essential part of the sentence, or the heart of the meaning, and less to do with a strict grammar rule.

Ohhh i get it now!! so it has to do with essentity!! [<- is this even a word? lol]
thanks for the reply!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh, I get it now! So it has to do with essentity[<- is this even a word? lol]!
Thanks for the reply!

No, it's not a word. "Essentiality" and "essentialness" are both words but I really don't think I've heard them used.

I know you're excited that you have understood this but please don't forget to use correct capitalisation in your posts (at the start of sentences and when you use "I"). Also, exclamation marks really aren't necessary at the end of most of those sentences. When they are appropriate, one is enough.

Last edited:

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No, it's not a word. "Essentiality" and "essentialness" are both words but I really don't think I've heard them used.

I know you're excited that you have understood this but please don't forget to use correct capitalisation in your posts (at the starts of sentences and when you use "I"). Also, exclamation marks really aren't necessary at the end of most of those sentences. When they are appropriate, one is enough.

Hahahaha this is the best reply I've ever gotten so far! xD
And this time I remembered to capitaliz the "I" and used exclamation point once!! oops. once!
hahaha thanks for making my day :D

Status
Not open for further replies.