Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Many people who emigrated to America from a lot of years say that although they are fluent in English but they still face problems !! . What a disappointing matter :shock::-(

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Everybody has problems. What kind of problems do those people encounter?

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Many people who emigrated to America from a lot of years say that although they are fluent in English but they still face problems !! . What a disappointing matter :shock::-(

They have to study hard. Often it is not enough to "emigrate to America" to learn English. Even to master one's own native language it is necessary to read and study day-to-day.

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
It might depend what level the guys were at when they moved to the US.

Ahmad Safwat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Everybody has problems. What kind of problems do those people encounter?

I think in some words and idioms .
They have to study hard. Often it is not enough to "emigrate to America" to learn English. Even to master one's own native language it is necessary to read and study day-to-day.

I thought that emigration to any country for some years will make the emigrator fluent in English even if he didn't become like the native speakers.
It might depend what level the guys were at when they moved to the US.

Yes, you are right .

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I thought that emigration to any country for some years will make the emigrator fluent in English even if he didn't become like the native speakers.

If you follow that mentality and thereby stop studying English, you'll never be fluent.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
That's simply not true. It sometimes takes generations to make people a group of immigrants speak the new language fluently. And it doesn't always happen. Often a reverse process takes place - the new members of the society change the local language.

Ahmad Safwat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Ok thatone!!

That's simply not true. It sometimes takes generations to make people a group of immigrants speak the new language fluently. And it doesn't always happen. Often a reverse process takes place - the new members of the society change the local language.

Thanks for the clearification, But I didn't imagine how could some people go to somewhere and don't know to communicate with the natives?!

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Ok thatone!!

Thanks for the clearification, But I didn't imagine how could some people go to somewhere and don't know to communicate with the natives?!

"Communicate with the natives" [sic] is something way different from mastering a (foreign) language.

Ahmad Safwat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
"Communicate with the natives" [sic] is something way different from mastering a (foreign) language.

If you meant by mastering taking the master degree>>>ok I didn't mean that they face preoblems in the English Literature but in English reading normal books and sometimes grammer or perfect accent .

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
perfect accent .
It's very difficult to master a new accent as an adult. You must learn sounds that you never used before. It takes a lot of effort and a bit of talent too. Most people don't have enough patience to train it. Do you watch American movies about mafia? The Italian-American characters usually have a strong accent there. Some of them were born in America, but still haven't got rid of it!

Ahmad Safwat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It's very difficult to master a new accent as an adult. You must learn sounds that you never used before. It takes a lot of effort and a bit of talent too. Most people don't have enough patience to train it. Do you watch American movies about mafia? The Italian-American characters usually have a strong accent there. Some of them were born in America, but still haven't got rid of it!

I know spys only do that :D

I watched them and also enjoy when Frenches talk in English they are so cute :lol:

The bottom line about accent and others dear friend (if you accepted) that I thought that when someone goes to America or London for some years he become fluent but I was so wrong as I think now :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Moving to a different country doesn't mean that someone will use the majority language of that country- there are many communities speaking minority languages in many countries, so people can spend decades in a country without necessarily learning much of the language.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Moving to a different country doesn't mean that someone will use the majority language of that country- there are many communities speaking minority languages in many countries, so people can spend decades in a country without necessarily learning much of the language.

And on the other hand there are many people who, despite having never traveled abroad, have managed to learn "something" about a foreign language.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
And on the other hand there are many people who, despite having never traveled abroad, have managed to learn "something" about a foreign language.
There's not much problem about it now that we have all this technology.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
There's not much problem about it now that we have all this technology.
Yes, but depending on what you want to mean by that "something" it is still a tough task.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Ahmad Safwat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

That's may be in America or England where there are regions inhabited by forigners and the old emigrators help the new ones.
Yes hope to be both
Yes, but depending on what you want to mean by that "something" it is still a tough task.
mmmm it seems no :D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

And there are a hardy few who manage to reach native speaker level without setting foot in a country where that language is spoken.

Ahmad Safwat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
And there are a hardy few who manage to reach native speaker level without setting foot in a country where that language is spoken.

Oh, If I become from these hardy ones, No one will believe that I didn't go there or my mother is from there :-D

I swear yesterday I watched last minutes of a programme in Nile TV ( an Egyptian TV channel in English) I was sure that the interviewer was a big hired British interviewer because her accent was British exactly, But I was surprised when I saw on the titre of the programme " Presented by Mervat Hesham" ....What?!!! She is Egyptian woman!!! I wondered how did she become like that? she isn't spy :) or her features were caucasian (mother genes lol) even I know alot studied in the Britsh Councils but didn't become like that, she was helping the guest in some phrases completition .

Status
Not open for further replies.