dilay is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can anyone check this cover letter ?

Hello everyone,

I am a not a native speaker of English, so I will be extremely happy if someone can correct the grammar mistakes in my cover letter.

Thanks in advance!

Dear Mr. Hedlund,

As an experienced translator/interpreter with a graduate degree in media and communications, I would like to express my interest in the English Content Editor position advertised on platsbanken.se.

Since the beginning of my university training, I have undertaken various translation and proofreading assignments for companies such IBM, Nikon etc. These freelance assignments have given me the freedom to use the language creatively, while obtaining technical expertise in different fields, which later has come to include weekly translation of MTV shows. I have also worked as an interpreter at several meetings and conferences in Sweden and abroad, including the annual General Assembly of CRESO.

Believing that I had to work closely with editors in order to develop editorial standards for both style and quality, I completed my first internship in Boniers publishing house. During this internship, I had the opportunity to use and improve my skills in writing, editing, research, and critical analysis as well as being given direct responsibilities such as writing book reviews and manuscripts for the web-site content, making stylistic, factual, and grammatical corrections. Later on, I have been introduced to various styles of writing in English at Stockholm University. Having gained vast experience in both journalistic and scholarly writing, I was appointed to the editorial assistant position at the Yrke, country’s only online newspaper in English. For this position, I worked with editors who were native speakers of English, learning the basics of online content management through duties such as covering major events, publishing picture galeries for the website, conducting interviews and researching for news stories.

I hope you'll agree that the combination of my academic training, translation, interpreting and editorial experiences have provided me with excellent preparation for the demands of English Content Editor position with Juto (company name). I would be glad if you could take a look at my downloadable CV on platsbanken.se, since it contains more information than platsbanken.se CV format allows.

dilay is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can anyone check this cover letter ?

Please point out at least the major mistakes. It's very important since it's my dream job!

skyweer is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dilay View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am a not a native speaker of English, so I will be extremely happy if someone can correct the grammar mistakes in my cover letter.

Thanks in advance!

Dear Mr. Hedlund,

As an experienced translator/interpreter with a graduate degree in media and communications, I would like to express my interest in the English Content Editor position advertised on platsbanken.se.

Since the beginning of my university training, I have undertaken various translation and proofreading assignments for companies such IBM, Nikon etc. These freelance assignments have given me the freedom to use the language creatively, while obtaining technical expertise in different fields, which later has come to include weekly translation of MTV shows. I have also worked as an interpreter at several meetings and conferences in Sweden and abroad, including the annual General Assembly of CRESO.

Believing that I had to work closely with editors in order to develop editorial standards for both style and quality, I completed my first internship in Boniers publishing house. During this internship, I had the opportunity to use and improve my skills in writing, editing, research, and critical analysis as well as being given direct responsibilities such as writing book reviews and manuscripts for the web-site content, making stylistic, factual, and grammatical corrections. Later on, I have been introduced to various styles of writing in English at Stockholm University. Having gained vast experience in both journalistic and scholarly writing, I was appointed to the editorial assistant position at the Yrke, country’s only online newspaper in English. For this position, I worked with editors who were native speakers of English, learning the basics of online content management through duties such as covering major events, publishing picture galeries for the website, conducting interviews and researching for news stories.

I hope you'll agree that the combination of my academic training, translation, interpreting and editorial experiences have provided me with excellent preparation for the demands of English Content Editor position with Juto (company name). I would be glad if you could take a look at my downloadable CV on platsbanken.se, since it contains more information than platsbanken.se CV format allows.
    apparently, you already had a lot of experience in the field of translator ...
    maybe we can sharing ... my brother completed thesis. He majored in English literature, if you can help thesis that with a way to fix it ...
    I am very grateful for your feedback
    Last edited by skyweer; 08-Dec-2009 at 21:39.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just one thing. Say:
    I was appointed to the editorial assistant position at the Yrke, the country’s only online newspaper in English.