Post Thanks / Like

Default With or To or And

Can somebody please help me with this ... on the cover of a Marriage Ceremony Booklet should it state 'The Marriage Ceremony of Rosie and Jack' or is it 'The Marriage Ceremony of Rosie with Jack'. On the invitation it is '... invite you to join in celebrating the marriage of their daughter Rosie WITH Jack ...' but I am not sure about the booklet cover. Thank you.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: With or To or And

Quote Originally Posted by BellaClara View Post
    Can somebody please help me with this ... on the cover of a Marriage Ceremony Booklet should it state 'The Marriage Ceremony of Rosie and Jack' or is it 'The Marriage Ceremony of Rosie with Jack'. On the invitation it is '... invite you to join in celebrating the marriage of their daughter Rosie WITH Jack ...' but I am not sure about the booklet cover. Thank you.
    Hi and welcome BellaClara. I would go for 'and', it seems more natural for the cover of the booklet, it is their marriage ceremony, Rosie and Jack.

pilogui is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: With or To or And

I have heard that one has to use 'with' if the lady name occurs first and 'to' if the man's name occurs first. I feel here it should be 'Rosie with Jack. BTW In this "invite you to join in celebrating the marriage of " after join you may have to use a noun or a pronoun form 'join me,join us, join her, join him or join them.'