Glad that you loved it or Glad that you love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugsandkisses

Member Type
Academic
I am confused. In one of my grammar books says something about the subjunctive mood. Is the above statement in subjunctive mood?

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
I am confused. In one of my grammar books says something about the subjunctive mood. Is the above statement in subjunctive mood?

No, this doesn't have anything to do with the present subjunctive. However, the topic of present subjunctive falls under the broader category of noun clauses. Your sentence is an example of a noun clause. If a noun clause is used as an object, then "that", a conjunction in such a case, is optional. Sometimes it might sound more natural one way or the other. Just the same, that is optional.

So you can say "I'm glad that you love it." I'm glad that you loved it." "I'm glad you love it." "I'm glad you loved it."

What is the name of the book you are using? I'd be careful of books writtin in-house for the use of one organization or one program. It would be good to see the surrounding context in which this phrase is placed as well.

To get a picture of the present subjunctive, a type of noun clause, I would go to www.englishpage.com , or just do a search. The present subjunctive takes some explaining, and I mostly reserve speaking about this to advanced students, or high intermediate. But it really depends on the student. Everyone's different.

Kirk out.

:-|

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
it's called the grammar bible by michael strumpf.

I see. I think you were simply asking if your example sentence was a subjunctive form. However, it was not an example of subjunctive taken from the book whose name you posted. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I've got it.

:) ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.