Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    am-ta is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default sentence correction

    I would appreciate if you provide me with the corrected form of the following sentence which are taken from students exam papers:

    1- I sleep until 10 on weekdays. (at10 or until 10. I think both are correct)
    2- leash is a rope that people tie their dogs neck with (with or by)
    3- wizard : a person who knows a lot about something (is this definition correct for wizard)
    4- what is the difference between Plain, Average, and ordinary?
    5- currently I am back of the University entrance) capital e or not? examination. (where in a sentence can we use currently?)
    6- David is a wizard person (person is not necessary. right?)
    7- I am marvelous when I read a historical story. (how can I explain that I am marvelous is incorrect.)
    8- a good food ) and (a food) ( I suppose a is incorrect and in the first one a good kind of food is correct)
    9- do not look at things superficially
    10- I am an impressive person. correct or not why?
    11- I will go home currently
    12- All of the things can be recycled. (I think all things is also impossible. Everything in better. But semantically it seems to be incorrect. any ideas?)
    13- I went home, my father called me dramatically.

    Thanks in advance


  2. #2
    am-ta is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy Re: sentence correction

    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post
    I would appreciate if you provide me with the corrected form of the following sentence which are taken from students exam papers:

    1- I sleep until 10 on weekdays. (at10 or until 10. I think both are correct)
    2- leash is a rope that people tie their dogs neck with (with or by)
    3- wizard : a person who knows a lot about something (is this definition correct for wizard)
    4- what is the difference between Plain, Average, and ordinary?
    5- currently I am back of the University entrance) capital e or not? examination. (where in a sentence can we use currently?)
    6- David is a wizard person (person is not necessary. right?)
    7- I am marvelous when I read a historical story. (how can I explain that I am marvelous is incorrect.)
    8- a good food ) and (a food) ( I suppose a is incorrect and in the first one a good kind of food is correct)
    9- do not look at things superficially
    10- I am an impressive person. correct or not why?
    11- I will go home currently
    12- All of the things can be recycled. (I think all things is also impossible. Everything in better. But semantically it seems to be incorrect. any ideas?)
    13- I went home, my father called me dramatically.

    Thanks in advance


    hi, no one to answer my question??!

  3. #3
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence correction

    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post
    I would appreciate if you provide me with the corrected form of the following sentence which are taken from students exam papers:

    1- I sleep until 10 on weekdays. (at10 or until 10. I think both are correct)
    2- leash is a rope that people tie their dogs neck with (with or by)
    3- wizard : a person who knows a lot about something (is this definition correct for wizard)
    4- what is the difference between Plain, Average, and ordinary?
    5- currently I am back of the University entrance) capital e or not? examination. (where in a sentence can we use currently?)
    6- David is a wizard person (person is not necessary. right?)
    7- I am marvelous when I read a historical story. (how can I explain that I am marvelous is incorrect.)
    8- a good food ) and (a food) ( I suppose a is incorrect and in the first one a good kind of food is correct)
    9- do not look at things superficially
    10- I am an impressive person. correct or not why?
    11- I will go home currently
    12- All of the things can be recycled. (I think all things is also impossible. Everything in better. But semantically it seems to be incorrect. any ideas?)
    13- I went home, my father called me dramatically.

    Thanks in advance

    Are these sentences that you had to write?


    Sentence 2 is a bad sentence in many ways. A leash is the means by which people lead their dogs and other animals.
    Sentence 3 A wizard is a person versed in magic and esoteric knowledge.
    Sentence 4 - look them up in a dictionary: OneLook Dictionary Search
    Sentence 5 - the meaning of this is not clear. Do you mean "Currently I am standing at the back entrance to the University"? or "Currently I am about to take the University entrance examination"?
    Sentence 6 - There is an old and now largely unused colloquial use of "wizard" as an adjective to say a person is a particularly great personality. If that is not the intention of the sentence, which is saying that this person is a wizard, then yes, person should be omitted.
    Sentence 7 - Why does reading a historical story make you marvelous?
    Sentence 8 - neither is incorrect
    Sentence 10 correct
    Sentence 11 - what do you mean by "currently" in this sentence?
    Sentence 12 - all three can be correct, depending on the full context.
    Sentence 13 - do you mean that because your father called you about something that is dramatic, you went home. If not, what do you mean by "dramatically"?

  4. #4
    am-ta is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence correction

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Are these sentences that you had to write?


    Sentence 2 is a bad sentence in many ways. A leash is the means by which people lead their dogs and other animals.
    Sentence 3 A wizard is a person versed in magic and esoteric knowledge.
    Sentence 4 - look them up in a dictionary: OneLook Dictionary Search
    Sentence 5 - the meaning of this is not clear. Do you mean "Currently I am standing at the back entrance to the University"? or "Currently I am about to take the University entrance examination"?
    Sentence 6 - There is an old and now largely unused colloquial use of "wizard" as an adjective to say a person is a particularly great personality. If that is not the intention of the sentence, which is saying that this person is a wizard, then yes, person should be omitted.
    Sentence 7 - Why does reading a historical story make you marvelous?
    Sentence 8 - neither is incorrect
    Sentence 10 correct
    Sentence 11 - what do you mean by "currently" in this sentence?
    Sentence 12 - all three can be correct, depending on the full context.
    Sentence 13 - do you mean that because your father called you about something that is dramatic, you went home. If not, what do you mean by "dramatically"?

    Thank you very much. but some more questions:

    To rope by or with??
    2- by asking this question "Why does reading a historical story make you marvelous?" students may reply because it makes us feel better or wonderful. so how can I make them understand that the sentence in incorrect.
    3- "Sentence 11 - what do you mean by "currently" in this sentence?"
    I mean Now.
    4- Sentence 13 - do you mean that because your father called you about something that is dramatic, you went home. If not, what do you mean by "dramatically"
    No. I mean suddenly.

  5. #5
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence correction

    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post
    Thank you very much. but some more questions:

    To rope by or with?? Neither if you are talking about a leash. "You can use a rope to make a leash, which you attach to the collar on your dog".
    2- by asking this question "Why does reading a historical story make you marvelous?" students may reply because it makes us feel better or wonderful. so how can I make them understand that the sentence in incorrect. To make you marvelous implies that you have become a super-person. How can reading a book do this?
    3- "Sentence 11 - what do you mean by "currently" in this sentence?"
    I mean Now. Then say "now".
    4- Sentence 13 - do you mean that because your father called you about something that is dramatic, you went home. If not, what do you mean by "dramatically"
    No. I mean suddenly. Then say "suddenly".
    ..

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence correction

    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post
    1- I sleep until 10 on weekdays. (at10 or until 10. I think both are correct)
    Only "until" is correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post
    3- wizard : a person who knows a lot about something (is this definition correct for wizard)
    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post



    You could say somebody is a wiz at computers (for example), but no, we don't say somebody is a wizard except in terms of sorcery.


  7. #7
    am-ta is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence correction

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Only "until" is correct.
    [COLOR=red]
    [COLOR=red][COLOR=red][COLOR=black]
    You could say somebody is a wiz at computers (for example), but no, we don't say somebody is a wizard except in terms of sorcery.


    Hello, thanks a lot. But why this sentence is incorrect: I sleep at 10 on weekdays, or I sleep at 10 on saturdays. I think it can be a habit for somebody. right?

  8. #8
    am-ta is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence correction

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    ..
    hello, thank you. In the case of the following sentences I should say that I want students to use new words like currently and dramatically in a sentence and not their synonyms. So are these sentences correct? if not what's their correct form.

    "Sentence 11 - what do you mean by "currently" in this sentence?"
    I mean Now. Then say "now".
    4- Sentence 13 - do you mean that because your father called you about something that is dramatic, you went home. If not, what do you mean by "dramatically"
    No. I mean suddenly. Then say "suddenly". ..

  9. #9
    am-ta is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence correction

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Only "until" is correct.
    [COLOR=red]
    [COLOR=red][COLOR=red][COLOR=black]
    You could say somebody is a wiz at computers (for example), but no, we don't say somebody is a wizard except in terms of sorcery.

    and 2 more questions :can we say
    "I am a marvelous person"
    and "I will go home currently"? Thanks in advance

  10. #10
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,649
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sentence correction

    Quote Originally Posted by am-ta View Post
    Hello, thanks a lot. But why this sentence is incorrect: I sleep at 10 on weekdays, or I sleep at 10 on saturdays. I think it can be a habit for somebody. right?
    When you say, 'I sleep at ten on weekdays' do you mean that you go to sleep at 10 pm or that you sleep until 10am?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] sentence correction
    By mani4ae in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Feb-2009, 03:32
  2. Sentence correction with since
    By Londoneye in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2008, 13:40
  3. sentence correction
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2008, 21:00
  4. pyramid structure of sentence
    By ohmyrichard in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2008, 01:19
  5. GMAT Sentence correction
    By Mark53 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-Nov-2007, 16:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •