Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: to be honest

jozi209 Guest

to be honest

would i label "to be honest" as a sentence adverbial or a infinitive adverbial phrase of manner?
    thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by jozi209
    would i label "to be honest" as a sentence adverbial or a infinitive adverbial phrase of manner?
    thanks!
    If you can insert the phrase "in order" before the infinitive, then it's an adverb of manner, like this,

He went to the store in order to buy some food.
    In order to buy some food, he went to the store.

If you can't insert the phrase "in order", then it's not an adverb of manner:

To be honest, I don't know.
    I don't know, to be honest.
    *In order to be honest, I don't know. (ungrammatical)

jozi209 Guest

okay so if it's not an adverb of manner (thanks for the tip btw), how would i label it in an analysis? i am thinking either sentence adverbial or infinitival adverb phrase of concession maybe? i'm confused

Post Thanks / Like

Correction! "Adverb of manner" should read, Adverb of purpose. Sorry about that. The phrase "in order to_____" answers the question Why?, and not How?

okay so if it's not an adverb of manner (thanks for the tip btw), how would i label it in an analysis? i am thinking either sentence adverbial or infinitival adverb phrase of concession maybe? i'm confused
    Well, from a Functional Grammar point of view, "to be honest" is called a modal adjunct because it expresses the author's feelings.

What's the sentence you're working with?

jozi209 Guest

THE SENTENCE IS: To be honest, I don't want to take extra work at the moment.

i am supposed to identify the phrase(s) and identify the function of the phrase(s). I read in my lesson plan that "to be honest" is not a sentence adverbial because a SA is epistemic and would hold a degree of truth to it. I don't think the modal answer is what I am supposed to do as it was not a part of our lesson plan. That's why I am thinkning it's an infinitival adverb phrase of manner? thanks

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

It strikes me that it is a sentence adverbial because it gives the speaker's attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

THE SENTENCE IS: To be honest, I don't want to take extra work at the moment.

i am supposed to identify the phrase(s) and identify the function of the phrase(s). I read in my lesson plan that "to be honest" is not a sentence adverbial because a SA is epistemic and would hold a degree of truth to it. I don't think the modal answer is what I am supposed to do as it was not a part of our lesson plan. That's why I am thinkning it's an infinitival adverb phrase of manner? thanks
    First, if it's not an adverb of manner, then it has to be an SA, right? Second, "epistemic", as tdol points out, refers to the speaker's attitude, or what the speaker believes to be true. "to be honest" expresses the speaker's feelings, which makes it epistemic in function.

jozi209 Guest

thanks...i think my teacher called it a conditional adverbial phrase. he also said that "honestly" is not equal to 'to be honest'...he said that to be honest is not epistemic...can someone clear this up for me? thanks:)

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

'Honestly' is often used to show exasperation, so there is a difference. When your teacher says that 'to be honest' is not epistemic, he's losing me. It reinforces the truth about the statement, or the speaker's desire to make you believe it's true. In this sense it has to do with knowledge, so I'm not sure what point the teacher is making.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    It strikes me that it is a sentence adverbial because it gives the speaker's attitude.
    Is "honestly" called sentence adverbial?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast