Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting Sentence

Please, if you want to, comment on whether you consider this sentence correct or incorrect, after which you may like to comment on its meaning.

I wouldn't advise anyone staying in that hotel.

Now, let's take a look at this sentence.

I wouldn't advise anyone to stay in that hotel.

This second sentence is correct, but, once again, what about the first sentence? I'll provide a follow-up explanation to this question later, or upon request, whichever comes first.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Interesting Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    Please, if you want to, comment on whether you consider this sentence correct or incorrect, after which you may like to comment on its meaning.

Yes, this seems OK.
    It means I wouldn't give my advice to anyone who was staying in that hotel - probably because the hotel is a dump, and the type of person who would stay there would not be able to afford my fee.

Now, let's take a look at this sentence.

I wouldn't advise anyone to stay in that hotel.

This second sentence is correct, but, once again, what about the first sentence?
    Same answer as before, since the first sentence hasn't changed.
    R.

grapefruit is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    R.
    I thought the second one was definitely correct as I was told that the verb, advise always takes to+infinitive.

It is a grammatical rule, isn't it? Or can we also use gerund form after 'advise'?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit View Post
    I thought the second one was definitely correct as I was told that the verb, advise always takes to+infinitive.

It is a grammatical rule, isn't it? Or can we also use gerund form after 'advise'?
    The -ing participle can be used after 'advise'. I wouldn't use it in a sentence such as the above, where it would be ambiguous, and grammatically wrong.
    You'd have to leave out the person you're advising. For example:
    For a healthy heart, I would advise exercising and eating healthy food. OK
    I would advise someone to exercise. But NOT I would advise someone exercising.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this seems OK.
    It means I wouldn't give my advice to anyone who was staying in that hotel - probably because the hotel is a dump, and the type of person who would stay there would not be able to afford my fee.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Interesting Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes, this seems OK.

Precisely. That's what I am getting at by posting these two sentences. It's interesting because in a grammar book I'm using with a student, this sentence is listed as "incorrect". However, it depends on how one reads it as to whether it is incorrect or not. I, somehow, feel the author should've taken notice of this and chosen to use a different example, even though I do believe it's a very good grammar text. I often recommend it to those looking for a good study and practice book for grammar.

rocking is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

There are always such arguments between native uses and foreign language learners. The latter are theoretically disciplined by the grammar books, especially when they are not experienced enough or linguistically open-minded enough to have a big picture of the language they learn.
    The grammar books can be helpful and can be confusing indeed. So learners should always look for a reliable and relatively less-narrowminded reference book. What do you recoomend then?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocking View Post
    There are always such arguments between native uses and foreign language learners. The latter are theoretically disciplined by the grammar books, especially when they are not experienced enough or linguistically open-minded enough to have a big picture of the language they learn.
    The grammar books can be helpful and can be confusing indeed. So learners should always look for a reliable and relatively less-narrowminded reference book. What do you recoomend then?
    Most widely-used grammar books are acceptable. But, as you say, the difficulty comes when users read them like some Holy Book, then blame native speakers for being heretics.
    The "rules" they give are meant to help you, not to restrict you. There are almost always exceptions. Beware of rules that include the words 'never' and 'always'.
    Also be aware that some rules are given in certain contexts, and when the context changes, the usage changes.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    Precisely. That's what I am getting at by posting these two sentences. It's interesting because in a grammar book I'm using with a student, this sentence is listed as "incorrect". However, it depends on how one reads it as to whether it is incorrect or not. I, somehow, feel the author should've taken notice of this and chosen to use a different example, even though I do believe it's a very good grammar text. I often recommend it to those looking for a good study and practice book for grammar.

Although with a publication, someone should have spotted it at some stage, I am certainly guilty of doing the same in the quizzes on the site, where I have put things as wrong but which could actually be correct in certain contexts. If there's an email, I'd drop them a line- I am always pleased when someone alerts me to a mistake I've made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Although with a publication, someone should have spotted it at some stage, I am certainly guilty of doing the same in the quizzes on the site, where I have put things as wrong but which could actually be correct in certain contexts. If there's an email, I'd drop them a line- I am always pleased when someone alerts me to a mistake I've made.
    This particular example happens to come from the well-known, and excellent textbook, Grammar in Use, the AmE version with CD and answer key. There is now a new edition of this book, and I might wonder if they've taken care of it in that one. If I remember, I'll check the next time I happen to see it on the shelf.

To speak more broadly, quite often one encounters errors for which there is nothing wrong structurally. It's just that the error produces a sentence that seems illogical, doesn't make sense, or simply conveys an unintended meaning.

Last edited by PROESL; 26-Jul-2009 at 06:50. Reason: I added necessary information to avoid a misunderstanding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast