Azucar is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile the article to understand

Please let me know if every phrase is understandable.

I need to translate it for my friends. Excuse me if the content will seem to you a bit rude. I tried to be close to Russian variant.

Fast Married
    It is widely known, that the law of Republic Z prohibits sexual outrage of any type. That is why every Thursday a public ceremony is held to establish the union of love. It is held for those who want to legitimate their hook-up once over lightly. At 22.00 prompt (current local time in Popovka), all lovers go up Stairs in the Sky. In the crossing of elements they promise each other anything and confess their love to each other. After that, just married couple sends a star to the sky, which will shine while their union of hearts will exist. It is said, that this day of all others a stranger will agree to marry if to propose him/her.

Freak Parade three trials
    This Parade is a trial for everyone. Be sure that nobody will come off unscathed!!!!
    The one, who goes through all trials, can declare boldly that he went through thick and thin!!!

Thank you in advance

rocking is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: the article to understand

I just took glimpse of yours again and did some revision. hope it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azucar View Post

I need to translate it for my friends. Excuse me if the content will seem to you a bit rude. I tried to be close to Russian variant.

Fast Married
    It is widely known, that the law of Republic Z prohibits sexual outrages of any type. That is why every Thursday a public ceremony is held to establishforge/witness (will such words be better, do you think?the unions of love. It is held for those who want to legitimate their hook-up once over lightly(??? Not so sure that you meant here? do you mean casual affair?. At 22.00 prompthow about "sharp" (current local time in Popovka), all lovers go up Stairs in the Sky. In the crossing of elements (Not so sure here? it is some traditional custom?they promise each other anything and confess (follwed usually by something not so good) express/vow their love to each other. After that, just married couple the newly-wedded couplessend[s a star to the sky, which will shine while their union of hearts the union of their heartswill exist. It is said, that this day of all others a stranger will agree to marry if to propose him/her.(not so clear what you mean here

Freak Parade three trials
    This Parade is a trial for everyone. Be sure that nobody will come off unscathed!!!! It is made sure that nobody will come off unscathed? .(Do you mean no one will be safe?
    The one, who goes through withstands/endures/survivesall trials, can declare boldly proudlythat he went goesthrough thick and thin!!!

Thank you in advance

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azucar View Post

Hi Azucar,
    Is this a genuine Russian folkloric tale which, if translated into English, would contribute to cross-cultural understanding. Or is it simply an attempt to translate a smutty Russian article into a smutty English one?
    If the former is the case, I think you should render the material in as literal a translation as possible, because no, it is not understandable at all.
    If the latter is the case, then my opinion of your last article also applies to this. It loses too much in translation to be of prurient interest to English readers.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I second what Raymott said. Also, use legitimize as the verb, legitimate as the adjective.

Azucar is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: the article to understand

thank you very much)))i appreciate your help. I will think about your comments....