• Post Thanks / Like

your opinin on my work will be greatly appreciated

so i have been busy trying to compile a personal statement for an CELTA course. I would just greatly appreciate your comments on what you think and whether you have any suggestions, criticisms etc. Your swift replies will again be greatly appreciated as i want to read feedback before i send off my application. Thank you

Personal Statement

I must admit, I chuckled to myself quietly for a short moment knowing that I was intending to start a career path to becoming a teacher. I reflected back on my days spent in school, a time where most students would view teachers as the enemy, a being created only to cause chaos and stress to our carefree and naive existence.

However, irrespective of this earlier concreted belief, I found myself becoming increasingly inspired by teaching. Even during school, a contradiction in the form of an English teacher, Mr. Grigg, would cause students to question our philosophy. Mr. Grigg would routinely fascinate and engross his captive audience during his lessons. Using a potent cocktail of humour, passion and innovative lesson planning, students would leave the class secretly looking forward to their next instalment of English.

It was this introduction to successful teaching that formed my working ethos, an ethos I have tried to emulate throughout my professional career.

My main experience of teaching was gained whilst Senior Manager at Guard Security. One of my responsibilities was to design and implement a four day training course for new recruits. The course consisted of a vast amount of text book learning, and proved to be a tedious affair at the best of times. I succeeded in trying to achieve an informative, thought provoking course that consistently drew input from those enrolled.

I developed the skill to tailor my teaching methods based upon the aptitude of those learning. Most importantly recognising the signs of individuals who were struggling with the content of the course. I effectively addressed their confusion without causing embarrassment, nor lessening positions amongst peers.

The course proved to be a great inspiration to me, and consequently, I realised that immense pleasure and satisfaction could be achieved from effective teaching.

Having been fortunate enough to teach in a formal environment, I have also taught English in slightly more personal surroundings. Fluent in the Urdu language, and a member of a multinational family, my confident personality routinely has me translating and explaining English to family and friends.

With the possibility of relocating to Egypt, a country where CELTA qualified Teachers are in great demand, coupled with the rewarding experiences I have gained whilst Teaching. I believe I will prove to be an excellent student. Punctual, professional and experienced in managing my time efficiently, I hope that my desire to enrol on the CELTA course at Coleg Glan Hafren is obvious and my ambition is realised.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: your opinin on my work will be greatly appreciated

wow! 55 views and not one person willing to make a comment! Please guys i am desperate for some feedback

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: your opinion on my work will be greatly appreciated

Okay-Here you are!

I must admit, I chuckled to myself quietly for a short moment knowing that I was intending to start a career path to becoming a teacher. I reflected back on my days spent in school, a time where most students view teachers as the enemy. However, irrespective of this earlier concreted belief, I found myself becoming increasingly inspired by a particular teacher. Mr. Grigg, would cause students to question our philosophy. He would routinely fascinate and engross his captive audience during his lessons. Using a potent cocktail of humour, passion and innovative lesson planning, students would leave the class secretly looking forward to their next installment of English. It was this introduction to successful teaching that formed my working ethos, an ethos I have tried to emulate throughout my professional career.

My first experience with teaching was while employed as a Senior Manager at Guard Security. One of my responsibilities was to design and implement a four day training course for new recruits. The course consisted of a vast amount of text book learning, and proved to be a tedious affair at the best of times. I succeeded in trying to achieve an informative, thought provoking course that consistently drew input from those enrolled.

I developed the skill to tailor my teaching methods based upon the aptitude of those learning. Most importantly recognizing the signs of individuals who were struggling with the content of the course. I effectively addressed their confusion without causing embarrassment, nor lessening positions amongst peers. The course proved to be a great inspiration to me, and consequently, I realized that immense pleasure and satisfaction could be achieved from effective teaching.

With the possibility of relocating to Egypt, a country where CELTA (give full name here) qualified teachers are in great demand, coupled with the rewarding experiences I have gained while teaching, I believe I will prove to be an excellent student. Punctual, professional and experienced in managing my time efficiently, I hope that my desire to enroll in the CELTA course at Coleg Glan Hafren is obvious and my ambition is realised.
    Last edited by Lady Hawk; 31-Jul-2009 at 05:25. Reason: delete unnecessary paragraph