Thread: Much / Many

Post Thanks / Like

Default Much / Many

1. I have so much fries. (Is this how you spell 'fries'? Is that why I can have 'much' here with plural 'fries'?)
    2. I have so many fries. (How come I don't here anybody say this?)

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Much / Many

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    1. I have so much fries. (Is this how you spell 'fries'? Is that why I can have 'much' here with plural 'fries'?)
    2. I have so many fries. (How come I don't here anybody say this?)

Thanks.
    Non-count nouns, like rice and hair, for example, are made up of grains and strands, respectively. If the grains and the strands can be counted, then "many" is used. If there are way too many of them to count, then "much" is used. The same does not apply to "fries". "fries" is a count noun:

EX: I have (too) many fries.
    EX: I have a lot of fries.

But if the speaker is referring to the fries as a whole, then "much" is possible, but it's idiomatic, and not the Standard:

EX: I have (too) much fries on my plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Much / Many

If the grains and the strands can be counted, then "many" is used. If there are way too many of them to count, then "much" is used. The same does not apply to "fries". "fries" is a count noun:
    What about noodles?

1. I have so many noodles to eat.
    2. I have so much noodles to eat. (I hear a lot of people that use this? It is wrong but it is idiomatic?)
    3. I have so much noodle to eat. (Is this better than #1 or should I use #3?)

Which one should I use?