Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Mums-To-Be

  1. Mhd shaher's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 154
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Mums-To-Be

    Hi..
    I found this line in a newspaper (headline)..
    I want to know what the word (Mums-To-Be) means:
    'Mums-To-Be 'Should Have Tamiflu Within 48Hrs'

  2. Mhd shaher's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 154
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Which is right?

    I want to know what the word (Mums-To-Be) means.
    I want to know what the word (Mums-To-Be) does mean.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Which is right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhd shaher View Post
    I want to know what the word (Mums-To-Be) means.
    I want to know what the word (Mums-To-Be) does mean.
    The first example - I want to know what the word means.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 29-Jul-2009 at 16:24. Reason: Misread question.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Mums-To-Be

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhd shaher View Post
    Hi..
    I found this line in a newspaper (headline)..
    I want to know what the word (Mums-To-Be) means:
    'Mums-To-Be 'Should Have Tamiflu Within 48Hrs'
    It means pregnant women.

    One pregnant woman would be a mum-to-be, and in the plural mum becomes mums, hence mums-to-be.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Mums-To-Be

    And if I was one, the last thing I would take is Tamiflu, the effects of which are far worse than the actual flu.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Mums-To-Be

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    And if I was one, the last thing I would take is Tamiflu, the effects of which are far worse than the actual flu.
    I just read that 13% of US people who have died from swine flu have been pregnant women. Also, recently an aboriginal woman lost a late term pregnancy with swine flu in Australia. If it were me, I would certainly consider it very seriously.
    Mums-To-Be 'Should Have Tamiflu Within 48Hrs' - Yahoo! News UK


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,448
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Mums-To-Be

    Maybe - but Tamiflu is being freely offered here as it is nearly out of date because the stocks date back to the bird flu scare. And all the doctors I have talked to say the effects are worse than the flu, and that in their view there is no protection offered by taking Tamiflu.

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Mums-To-Be

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Maybe - but Tamiflu is being freely offered here as it is nearly out of date because the stocks date back to the bird flu scare. And all the doctors I have talked to say the effects are worse than the flu, and that in their view there is no protection offered by taking Tamiflu.
    Doctors are only human. If there is no Tamiflu available, of course they will tell their patients it is unnecessary - unless they have a particular grudge against the NHS and want to whinge.
    Also, I think British medicine is generally more conservative than US medicine.

Similar Threads

  1. Teaching English to Babies
    By ashsensei in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22-Sep-2010, 10:48
  2. anyone have any idea about these essays?
    By joetmh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-Nov-2003, 21:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •