Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: do the talking

  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    do the talking

    Dear teachers.

    I'd like to know the meaning of " do the talking" in (1)
    Is there any difference between "talk" and "do the talking"?

    1. I'm always the one who's got to do the talking.


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: do the talking

    If you walk the talk, you practice what you preach.
    Similar: Put your money where your mouth is.


    If you talk the talk, it means all talk and no action, like hot air.
    Similar: His mouth is writing checks his body can't cash.


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: do the talking

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    If you walk the talk, you practice what you preach.
    Similar: Put your money where your mouth is.


    If you talk the talk, it means all talk and no action, like hot air.
    Similar: His mouth is writing checks his body can't cash.
    Do the talk - you speak the lingo; ie. I hand around pilots but I do not "do the talk" - I am clueless as to waht they are talking about.

    Put your money where yoru mouth is - back up what you say if necessary with cash.

    Did you mean "hummingbird ass and alligator mouth"? More talk than walk?

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: do the talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Dear teachers.

    I'd like to know the meaning of " do the talking" in (1)
    Is there any difference between "talk" and "do the talking"?

    1. I'm always the one who's got to do the talking.
    Yes, there is a difference. Your example sentence means that you are the one who speaks up because no one else will.



    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: do the talking

    Did you mean "hummingbird ass and alligator mouth"? More talk than walk?
    Your animal example is a new one on me. Yip! I meant to say one talks more than he walks. "Actions speak louder than words!" What an impossible mission.


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: do the talking

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Your animal example is a new one on me. Yip! I meant to say one talks more than he walks. "Actions speak louder than words!" What an impossible mission.
    Bite more than you can chew. Blow nothing but hot air. I love to think of this one during meetings - just picture all the longwindedness being transferred into a dessert storm and blow over. Something you will hear in the rual parts of AL, GA, LA is "like tits on a boarhog". It means exactly that - unreal, useless, based upon nothing, hogwash, out of context.


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: do the talking

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...n+a+boarhog%22

    You are just amazing, Twostep!

    Mostly, I like to scribble when I am in a meeting. Even when I'm on the phone, I like to hold a pen or pencil at hand and write down whatever codes I receive from the Mars.


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: do the talking

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...n+a+boarhog%22

    You are just amazing, Twostep!

    Mostly, I like to scribble when I am in a meeting. Even when I'm on the phone, I like to hold a pen or pencil at hand and write down whatever codes I receive from the Mars.
    I do not have to go that far. There are plenty of space cadets close by.

Similar Threads

  1. I'm talking to
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jan-2005, 06:07
  2. what's the difference ?
    By billy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Aug-2004, 06:58
  3. ICQ, talking to English people
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2004, 20:42
  4. his talking
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2004, 15:47
  5. Subject of a verb
    By Anonymous in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2003, 08:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •