• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Bahrain
      • Current Location:
      • Bahrain
    Post Thanks / Like

Post hello i'm a new learner and i need your help in english

hello i'm a new member in your website
    first i want to introduce my self,i'm intermediate in english,i will start studying in vancouver in university,but ofcourse i need english courses for a year or less because my english is not that good to the university,my high school was in arabic, i want to improve my english very fast in a good way
    i think if i started reading english books that will help but i'm reading them very slow because i dont understand the whole page i need to know every word i dont understand and that usually takes alot of time because i have to go back to the dictionary,so my question is that a good way in learning or i just read the book without study every word i dont understand
    i wish you can help me in all of this
    thank you
    Last edited by Tdol; 09-Jul-2014 at 10:02. Reason: Removing name

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: hello i'm a new learner and i need your help in english

Welcome to the forum. Reading, writing and speaking are the three basic aspects on which you should focus and do regular practice to improve your English. Of course to begin with practicing reading is good idea. Try to read at least one hour every day. It may be a book, periodical or news paper. Since you have difficulty in understanding, it is essential that you must improve your vocabulary. So make a point to note down the difficult words in a separate note book and build your vocabulary dictionary. I hope you know how to build your vocabulary dictionary.

You can also depend on this forum in many ways to gain control over English. In the fist place you can use this forum to get your texts corrected/modified by putting the same in the respective sub forums. Secondly, You can get clarified of any doubt/problem on grammar or language by using the Ask a teacher sub-forum. Thirdly, to learn more on different subjects, please visit the various sub forums and see for yourself how solutions to wide ranging problems and questions are answered or solved by experienced and reputed teachers.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hello i'm a new learner and i need your help in english

hello i'm a new member in your website
    first i want to introduce my self,i'm intermediate in english,i will start studying in vancouver in university,but ofcourse i need english courses for a year or less because my english is not that good to the university,my high school was in arabic, i want to improve my english very fast in a good way
    i think if i started reading english books that will help but i'm reading them very slow because i dont understand the whole page i need to know every word i dont understand and that usually takes alot of time because i have to go back to the dictionary,so my question is that a good way in learning or i just read the book without study every word i dont understand
    i wish you can help me in all of this
    thank you
    Hi, and welcome to your language learning journey!

I think reading, watching, listening to English as much as possible will help you a lot. As far as reading is concerned, I too would say that it's a good idea to start with reasonably simple books in English (perhaps a book that you have already read in Arabic, so you know what happens). This will build your confidence as you will understand a lot, but you will also absorb some new grammar and vocabulary without realising it. You can move on to more difficult books later. Read newspapers and magazines too - you can learn from everything!

The more you read, the more you will understand.

I'm currently learning Spanish and am trying to read a novel in Spanish. At the beginning, I looked up every word I didn't understand in a dictionary. However, that was time-consuming and meant that my reading was interrupted. So I decided to read an entire page without looking up any words. At the end of the page, if I really don't understand what happened, then I go back and look up the relevant bits. This is much more productive and I'm enjoying the book much more.

On a separate note, please remember that the word I in English is always written in capitals. You will need to improve your punctuation too, but again, reading (and looking at posts on this website) will help a lot.
    Last edited by Tdol; 09-Jul-2014 at 10:03. Reason: Tidying quote

l33na is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Bahrain
      • Current Location:
      • Bahrain
    Post Thanks / Like

sarat 106
    you mean its good way to write down every single word i dont understand,then i go back to the dictionary and study everyword.
    thank you

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

sarat 106
    you mean its good way to write down every single word i dont understand,then i go back to the dictionary and study everyword.
    thank you
    No, I would not suggest writing down every word as you try to read because then the flow of your reading will be interrupted.

Just read. Maybe one page. From the beginning to the end, and don't worry about understanding every single word because you will probably understand the general meaning of the story anyway. After you have finished the page, then maybe choose the most difficult words, or the ones that seemed to be most important to the story, and look them up in the dictionary.

Sometimes you will realise that you can work out what a word means on your own, by the context in which it was used.
    Last edited by Tdol; 09-Jul-2014 at 10:04.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: hello i'm a new learner and i need your help in english

Hi l33na,

I have said, you must only note down the difficult words (You are unable to understand) in a separate note-book which will be gradually filled up (by nearly 5000 words) to serve as your Vocabulary Dictionary. As suggested by emsr2d2, start with books easy to understand. You may find 5-6 difficult words in a page. In case of news papers make it a habit to read the column “letters to the editor” (read 2-3 letters). Read the text three times. On the first reading underline the words that you can not understand, preferably in red. During second, note down the underlined words in the note book in the specific allotted page alphabetically. Then refer dictionary and record the meaning against word in the note-book. After getting meaning of all the words, read the text for the third time. This way, 90% of your problem in understanding will be over. Subsequently, may be immediately after reading, try to use the words in your own English by making one or two sentences. Thus, these words will remain in your active memory and if you are practicing speaking, utterance of the words will be more or less automatic.. This is not difficult. Only practice and determination is necessary. Please start and let me know if you face any problem.
    Last edited by Tdol; 09-Jul-2014 at 10:04.