Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    fenglish is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question When to use Returns, Return, Gets, and Get

    Hi,

    I am always confused by when SHOULD I add "s" to a verb when SHOULD NOT.

    As the following four sentences:

    a). Returns something to somebody.
    b). Return something to somebody.

    c). Gets something from somewhere.
    d) Get something from somewhere.

    Which sentence is Right? Which is Wrong? Why it is Right? Why Wrong?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When to use Returns, Return, Gets, and Get

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    Hi,

    I am always confused by when SHOULD I add "s" to a verb when SHOULD NOT.

    As the following four sentences:

    a). Returns something to somebody.
    b). Return something to somebody.

    c). Gets something from somewhere.
    d) Get something from somewhere.

    Which sentence is Right? Which is Wrong? Why it is Right? Why Wrong?

    Thanks.
    We add an s to simple present third person singular verbs.

    Sometimes we add es, as in "goes" or "does". Note that these verbs, do and go, end with o. Those are the only examples that come to mind at this moment.


  3. #3
    fenglish is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When to use Returns, Return, Gets, and Get

    Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    We add an s to simple present third person singular verbs.

    Sometimes we add es, as in "goes" or "does". Note that these verbs, do and go, end with o. Those are the only examples that come to mind at this moment.

    So, in above four sentences, how do I distinguish which is "third person singular verb"?

  4. #4
    mara_ce's Avatar
    mara_ce is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When to use Returns, Return, Gets, and Get

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    a). Returns something to somebody.
    b). Return something to somebody.

    c). Gets something from somewhere.
    d) Get something from somewhere.
    Simple Present:
    She/He/It returns something to somebody. (You add s to the verb in third person singular)

    I/You/We/They get something from somewhere. (In this case you shouldn't add s)
    Last edited by mara_ce; 01-Aug-2009 at 01:57.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When to use Returns, Return, Gets, and Get

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    So, in above four sentences, how do I distinguish which is "third person singular verb"?
    Well, if the verb has an "s" at the end, it's a third person singular verb, which means a pronoun used in place of a noun is he, she, or it.


  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When to use Returns, Return, Gets, and Get

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    Hi,

    I am always confused by when SHOULD I add "s" to a verb when SHOULD NOT.

    As the following four sentences:

    a). Returns something to somebody.
    b). Return something to somebody.

    c). Gets something from somewhere.
    d) Get something from somewhere.

    Which sentence is Right? Which is Wrong? Why it is Right? Why Wrong?

    Thanks.
    The problem you have is that the 4 examples you have given are not complete sentences. A sentence does not start with a verb (except in the imperative!)

    These sentences, if written properly, would all start with a pronoun (I, you, he/she/it, we, you, they). Once you have the pronoun, you would know when to add an "s" to the end of the verb - only in the 3rd person singular (he/she/it).

  7. #7
    fenglish is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When to use Returns, Return, Gets, and Get

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The problem you have is that the 4 examples you have given are not complete sentences. A sentence does not start with a verb (except in the imperative!)

    These sentences, if written properly, would all start with a pronoun (I, you, he/she/it, we, you, they). Once you have the pronoun, you would know when to add an "s" to the end of the verb - only in the 3rd person singular (he/she/it).
    Thanks, you pointed me out the real problem that I have been ignoring before. I never add the pronoun to a sentence if it starts with a verb.

    Is a person's name or a object's name or "this xxx" or "that xxx" or "which xxx" also as a "third pronoun"?

    If change the verb to verb+ing, is it means the same?

    As followings:

    a). Return something to somebody.

    b). Returning something to somebody. (In this case, should I add pronoun like "I returning ..."?)

    Thanks.
    Last edited by fenglish; 01-Aug-2009 at 06:20.

  8. #8
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When to use Returns, Return, Gets, and Get

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    Thanks, you pointed me out the real problem that I have been ignoring before. I never add the pronoun to a sentence if it starts with a verb.

    Is a person's name or a object's name or "this xxx" or "that xxx" or "which xxx" also as a "third pronoun"?

    If change the verb to verb+ing, is it means the same?

    As followings:

    a). Return something to somebody.

    b). Returning something to somebody. (In this case, should I add pronoun like "I returning ..."?)

    Thanks.
    With the verb in its continuous (-ing) form you need to use the verb 'to be' before it, for example; 'I am returning something', 'He is returning something', 'They are returning something.

  9. #9
    fenglish is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When to use Returns, Return, Gets, and Get

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    With the verb in its continuous (-ing) form you need to use the verb 'to be' before it, for example; 'I am returning something', 'He is returning something', 'They are returning something.
    Thanks.

    Are all the nouns of following form as third pronoun?

    a) Mary verb(s)... (person's name)
    b) The Sun verb(s)... (object's name)
    b) This/That/Which Event verb(s)... (this xxx, that xxx, which xxx)

  10. #10
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: When to use Returns, Return, Gets, and Get

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    Thanks.

    Are all the nouns of following form as third pronoun?

    a) Mary verb(s)... (person's name)
    b) The Sun verb(s)... (object's name)
    b) This/That/Which Event verb(s)... (this xxx, that xxx, which xxx)
    The three sentences you have given are all in the third person singular, yes.
    You can replace Mary with "she".
    You can replace The Sun with "it"
    This/that/which are all 3rd person singular uses.

    I'm not sure, however, why you have put (person's/object's name) in bold as that part of the sentence has no bearing on the verb usage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •