1) Please correct me if I am wrong.
'a dark horse implies one who surprisess everyone by winning in a race'
2) Then, what is the opposite of a dark horse? I am trying to say one who had been predicted as the champion, but turned out losing the race.
3) Please correct me if I am wrong.
number 1 = the champion = the first place
number 2 = the first runner-up = the second place
number 3 = the second runner-up = the second place
number 4 = the third runner-up = the third place
number 5 = the fourth runner-up = the fourth place
number 11 = the tenth runner-up = the tenth place
.........and so on?
4) Mary was not among the top 5 in the contest. Should I say,
"Mary lost the place in the contest."
5) What do we call one who's at the very bottom in a contest?
Tks / ju
It's called the "odds-on favourite" who "came up short".